spring rates

i know its most likely been done to death but

what can people reccomend spring wise to give descent ride quality aswel as good handling

its a td5 but has no arb's fitted

its currently on either a +2 or hd springs which id good for towing and good at shaking you apart

cheers

dan

its my std road car so dont really play with it much. the suspension was fitted when i braught it but its driving me nuts now as to the bone shaking ride.

im just after other peoples opinions as to what works.

doesnt matter on price i just want a better ride and to feel more confident with it at speed

What's your intended use? Unless you're going to be doing serious off-roading, you don't need a lift.

Equally, when towing if you get the trailer nose-weight right then it's only going to provide 50Kg or so of downforce on the rear - less than the weight of one passenger in the back - so you don't need stiffer suspension.

I'd suggest OEM springs - and spending money on replacing/enhancing the shock-absorbers. Gas-filled Bilsteins are expensive but a set of them on my 90TD5 (in place of the 70,000-mile-old original fitment) really transformed the handling both when towing and for normal driving.

The big thing I noticed was that it's vastly less-sensitive to sidewind buffeting when passing trucks on the motorways, and also it's much easier to control the bowel-loosening "Trailer-wagging-the-Defender" oscillation problem you sometimes get when following the truck-created ruts on the slow-lane of motorways.

--Tanuki.

"Today's forecast is: moderate to heavy patches of Lard and a sunny outlook, but with a belt of inflatable pink Lizards moving in from the west, followed by a visit to the psychiatrist for better drugs sometime Wednesday evening"

Yep agree with most of the above. Ditch the lift and go with softer springs.

I do a fair bit of offroading and i dont run a lift. The 2" just dont make any real difference really unless you need the space for big rubber.

If its road use only, I would be tempted by discovery springs. They are slightly softer than standard defender springs - as the defender out of the box is expected to carry and tow heavy loads. If you dont do either, then that extra capacity is wasted and firming your ride for no reason. Discos have a heavier body and lower load carrying capability and handle relatively nicely... no reason why they wont work just a nice in a defender. Although I would suggest keeping an anti roll bar on it for extra control and minimize lean.

Biggest difference is always with the shocks. Buy the best you can afford.

it does no offroading what so ever, thats what my challenge truck is for.

this car is simply my daily drive and tows my comp truck some times

what spring colours are best to go for ?

as daft as it sounds i was going to fit some fox bypass shocks or similar