oops no drive at all

hi guys

my bottom less pit just got deeper

so lets start at the beggining my 110 was driving great and then on left hand bends it started

to make a horrible noise

but then on my way home from work it got worse and i had no drive at all just a grinding noise

so i free wheeled it home i looked underneath and the front prop was spinning so i tried it in diff lock

and still no drive so i think the front diff is erm broken but should it still drive in diff lock

any ideas

cheers brian

Vehicle should have still drive with the centre diff lock in even with a broken front diff ( CV is probable more likely).

With the difflock in try and drive gently, both props should spin, if they do then you have faults in the front and rear axles, if only one spins then the difflock is not locking for some reason so the transfer box needs some checking.

if rear prop is not turning then difflock is not engaged or T box is FUBAR'd.

has the difflock always worked in the past?

have you tried manually moving the lever over rather than doing it with the linkage to ensure its fully across?

not sure about it working before as not had the car long

when i baught it it was bumped quite bad on 1 side and 1 of the front prop uj cups was broken

which could of done some damage to the transfer box but it was driving fine prior to the loud grinding noise

which i think is the diff but i am going to swap the front axle as it has been repaired around the diff pan with

filler or chemi metal

.....when i put it in difflock the light on the dash comes on but still no movement

maybe the transfer box any ideas

help

if rear prop is not turning then difflock is not engaged or T box is FUBAR'd.

has the difflock always worked in the past?

have you tried manually moving the lever over rather than doing it with the linkage to ensure its fully across?

I was under the impression that the light would only come on once the mechanism had actually engaged, so if light is on and only one prop is turning then the T-box is broken somewhere inside....

I'll bet you it's just the Drive flange / CV Splines have coroded away and the grinding noise is what's left grinding away, when you try and move the car forward. Have you taken the rubber caps of the end and had someone try to move the car forwards while looking at the splines?

As others have said too, either you have another similar problem on the rear axle, or your centre diff isn't locking too. But I bet above is still the main issue.