oil thermostatic valve

The washers act as the valve on the system. The oil is supplied directly from the pump at spring end, in-line with the thermostat, and from the oil cooler via the opposite end. When cold, the oil stat contracts and the spring moves the washer out from the block, past the housing exit port to the filter's outer ring. As the temperature increases, the stat expands and pushes the washer inwards against the spring, past the filter port, preventing the direct flow from the pump and permitting the indirect flow via the oil cooler.

I have just one washer on my 200Tdi and 19J. Two may be fitted on the 300 Tdi if the internal configuration of the filter port is different - the 12J, 19J and 200Tdi share the same filter housing, oil stats and pump, but the 300Tdi has a different housing and pump. It could just be a fault, though. It will restrict oil flow. I'd remove them and would fit a smaller diameter washer of similar thickness and one original washer to ensure the least resistance when the stat is open. Make sure the smaller washer goes to the unsprung end if you do this.

• 6 years later...

Hello,

Does the little thermostat needle sit in the entrance of the housing hole or should it be able to fit down it?

My old thermostat can slide in and out of the housing hole where as a new thermostat will not.

Any thoughts?

Mark….

Hello,

apologies I am not quite sure what you mean by uppermost?

The pin on my old oil stat can freely slide in & out whereas a new one sits simply at the entrance of the hole & will not fit any further in. It suggests there is a very minimal diameter difference between a new pin & the old one. 

Mark....

On 2/28/2012 at 11:51 AM, Frogland said:

I'm in the process of changing the o ring and i noticed there are 2 washers sitting between the spring and the bulb and there doesn't seem to be any mention of them in the parts catalogue and diagram. I've never had any oil temp pressure problems but am curious to know why they're there.

post-22390-0-84249600-1330429887_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Does anyone know the part number for the spring in the above picture,  as I have been supplied the wrong spring twice now & I cannot see the number anywhere!?!

Mark....

On 2/28/2012 at 11:51 AM, Frogland said:

I'm in the process of changing the o ring and i noticed there are 2 washers sitting between the spring and the bulb and there doesn't seem to be any mention of them in the parts catalogue and diagram. I've never had any oil temp pressure problems but am curious to know why they're there.

post-22390-0-84249600-1330429887_thumb.jpg

I had those washers in mine too and the local independent LR garage (huge experience) had never seen them before either.

Edited by Jocklandjohn

Those washers are supposed to be there, as the oil gets hot, the pin protrudes which moves the body of the thermostat back and with it the washers which then close off/or uncover (can't remember which way round it is) a port in the bore, to allow the oil to flow through the cooler. The washers are like a mini piston/seal in the cylinder of the housing that the thermostat sits in.

Mine had a washer, but removing it helped warm oil pressure without affecting temperature.  I think they were later deleted, but not sure.  I couldn't find it on the parts diagram or workshop manual.