The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

Something's not right there it's a station wagon as you can see the rear side door through the car. Plus some chequer plate is different colours suggesting a wrap in places and real in others. Mind it's still hateful there's far to much chequer plate on mine and the previous owner has only done a few bits.

Mike

It's an entry for 'Modified Land Rover Of The Year' apparently http://www.lro.com/news/land-rover/1603/mlroty-entry-guido-reimanns-land-rover-defender-110/

Perhaps the different colours could just be different ages or directions? That said the front wing with it's curves would be a nightmare to get that good with real plate .....

Either way it's made a mess of an early 110 station wagon :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guess which bit is LR Series 1 cos I can't see any?

This purports to being a heavily modded 1955 S1, my first thought was why on earth would you, then I looked and thought it is all Daihatsu?

The seller has added a comment following loads of calls saying he does not know how much is LR S1???

Enjoy.

Marc

Tbh Nige I hope it does get a vosa tug cos that is ridiculous,it is exactly what the current points system was designed to stop ,I can never understand going to all that hassle to avoid paying a bit of road tax and an MOT fee !

Guess which bit is LR Series 1 cos I can't see any?

This purports to being a heavily modded 1955 S1, my first thought was why on earth would you, then I looked and thought it is all Daihatsu?

The seller has added a comment following loads of calls saying he does not know how much is LR S1???

Enjoy.

Marc

That's local to me, never seen it about though. Tempted to take a look.

Tbh Nige I hope it does get a vosa tug cos that is ridiculous,it is exactly what the current points system was designed to stop ,I can never understand going to all that hassle to avoid paying a bit of road tax and an MOT fee !

James, I never understood the whole dodging road tax thing over here when series became exempt in 96, if we paid taxes here like I did in NL I could, but a couple hundred quid is a tenth of what I paid there!

Ironic really that they pay over the odds for tax exempt vehicle, spend more than it's worth getting it to be the Defender they actually wanted and do so mostly knowing they are breaking the law just to save a few quid.

But in a way you're right, VOSA tug and a bit of publicity might scare a few into doing the right and legal thing?

Although, I considered trying to cheat the system in NL it would have paid itself within 2yrs, I worked out a guy doing the same here would be waiting 11yrs before hs tax exempt conversion started paying him back.

It's that kind of vehicle that gets in an accident and ends up creating a load of bad publicity for land rover's ,land Rover owner's and off roaders in general ,he may claim that it's been built properly and he may well be right but the fact is it is in no way road legal .

• Like 1

I'm on the fence a bit here with this sort of vehicle.

On the one hand it's tax evasion and it possibly supports the use of stolen parts (not suggesting that's the case here).

On the other, the fact it's rarely picked up is the price we pay for our ability to modify stuff.

If there ever was a clampdown on this, it's more likely to be with a raft of new laws rather than enforcement of the existing ones.

Careful what you wish for.

Don't have a problem with it being built ,it looks well made ,but why not just iva it and be right ? Simple answer is to avoid paying road tax ,avoid MOT test and try and get a massively inflated price for what is in fact a rebodied diahatsu fourtrac(or sportrac ?)and not a series one landy. I know what you're saying about careful what you wish for but the line has to be drawn somewhere and this motor is way over it !

James

Did you go and have a look at it ?

Don't have a problem with it being built ,it looks well made ,but why not just iva it and be right ? Simple answer is to avoid paying road tax ,avoid MOT test and try and get a massively inflated price for what is in fact a rebodied diahatsu fourtrac(or sportrac ?)and not a series one landy. I know what you're saying about careful what you wish for but the line has to be drawn somewhere and this motor is way over it !

James

Did you go and have a look at it ?

I agree.

It's the thought of how enforcement would be policed, and by whom that worries me.

I think it's currently seen as too difficult.

No, not had a chance to view it.

I'm on the fence a bit here with this sort of vehicle.

On the one hand it's tax evasion and it possibly supports the use of stolen parts (not suggesting that's the case here).

On the other, the fact it's rarely picked up is the price we pay for our ability to modify stuff.

If there ever was a clampdown on this, it's more likely to be with a raft of new laws rather than enforcement of the existing ones.

Careful what you wish for.

I understand your coments, my own S1 is under ther points system for mods and if this changes I will lose its historic numberplate (build and club history not tax mot etc). However this is fraud as well as none of it is Series 1!!

Marc.

dvla enquiry shows this -----------------

Vehicle details

Registration number: HKS 337

Untaxed -- Tax due: 16 February 2016

MOT --Exempt

• Vehicle make LAND ROVER
  • Date of first registration 26 February 1958
  • Year of manufacture 1958
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1600cc
  • COâ‚‚Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Not taxed
  • Vehicle colour WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval Not available
  • Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight Not available
reckon thatneeds to be sent to AVICS, definitly not a Series 1 of any description.

Wel that's a pretty obvious ringer :(.

But Ross you are being so sceptical, it's obvious you could simply convert a 1958 series 1 a single part at a time into a '90. I mean everything is so interchangeable on a Land Rover, there's bound to be no problem at all putting a different length chassis on your series 1 ..... or perhaps they changed the bodywork first, because that should fit on a series chassis :P