The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this type of post was stopped a while ago but this ad annoys me but feel free to remove if not acceptable.

1958 Land Rover SERIES 1 88 INCH 3.5 V8 Petrol 4x4 Petrol Manual

Stacks of History including BMI Heritage Trust Certified Copy of Original Factory Record, MOT Exempt, Tax Exempt,

As it is such a good quality Heritage certified car it is on at £15K. Except it is a coiler so probably shortened RRC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1958-Land-Rover-SERIES-1-88-INCH-3-5-V8-Petrol-4x4-Petrol-Manual/164127286165?hash=item2636bfa395:g:GgYAAOSwuNZeg76v

Why do you assume its naughty ? It might be like my series 3, which was done in 1994, by modifying the chassis(rather crudely), long before the latest rules.

I even bought a Designa coiler chassis for it, but never got round to fitting it. Would be perfectly legal.

9 hours ago, smallfry said:

Why do you assume its naughty ? It might be like my series 3, which was done in 1994, by modifying the chassis(rather crudely), long before the latest rules.

I even bought a Designa coiler chassis for it, but never got round to fitting it. Would be perfectly legal.

I was going to write a reply explaining my post but then I realised I can’t actually be bothered to explain myself 

1 hour ago, Ozzy50 said:

I was going to write a reply explaining my post but then I realised I can’t actually be bothered to explain myself 

Was it along the lines of them not being transparent that it’s heavily modified and what the implications of those modifications are? 

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Was it along the lines of them not being transparent that it’s heavily modified and what the implications of those modifications are? 

Exactly why it annoys me.

I have bought and owned vehiles that suit me perfectly but when a friend wanted to buy my hybred I explained why it would not suit him for towing horse boxes. In the end like others on this site I broke it up rather than selling it on.

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

The biggest crime I can see being committed here is Defender wheel arch spats on a series body.

I don't know …… I think they look OK  :ph34r:

And I really like the colour !

• Confused 1

It appears to have the underpinnings, and likely the chassis, for a different/more modern vehicle which would not attract the same VIN, not be tax exempt, not be MOT exempt, not hold historical significance and generally is not the vehicle it is being sold as.

It could also be that the base vehicle is not legit, i.e. stolen so they are reusing a "clean" chassis ID on a dirty chassis.

Or none of this.

5 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Essentially the chassis isn't from 1958, as Rover only started selling coil chassis based vehicles in the 1970s.

Or as @smallfry said, it could be that the original chassis has been modified to take coils - which as long as it was done early enough could be perfectly legal - but then it's still a significantly modified vehicle and potential buyers need to be aware of that (not least for insurance purposes - but also to satisfy themselves it's been done properly and is safe).

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:33 PM, missingsid said:

Not sure if this type of post was stopped a while ago but this ad annoys me but feel free to remove if not acceptable.

1958 Land Rover SERIES 1 88 INCH 3.5 V8 Petrol 4x4 Petrol Manual

Stacks of History including BMI Heritage Trust Certified Copy of Original Factory Record, MOT Exempt, Tax Exempt,

As it is such a good quality Heritage certified car it is on at £15K. Except it is a coiler so probably shortened RRC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1958-Land-Rover-SERIES-1-88-INCH-3-5-V8-Petrol-4x4-Petrol-Manual/164127286165?hash=item2636bfa395:g:GgYAAOSwuNZeg76v

Built by a very good mate of mine in 1992 to a very high standard, before all the fuss of IVA etc. Very normal to build a hybrid in those days when 90's were still out of reach financially. Several owners later I know he's shocked that someone would think they could get more than a couple of grand for it.

As nice as I know it is, it's still just a bitsa!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tiddler said:

Built by a very good mate of mine in 1992 to a very high standard, before all the fuss of IVA etc. Very normal to build a hybrid in those days when 90's were still out of reach financially. Several owners later I know he's shocked that someone would think they could get more than a couple of grand for it.

As nice as I know it is, it's still just a bitsa!

Thank you for this confirmation, it clears up one aspect, though there are still possible issues in there. For one (this may not apply to this one) the amnesty allows early hybirds to be registered, it NEVER allowed the registration of a hybrid as the body age only the chassis. My S2 hibrid was such a car and when I relaised it, I scrapped it, even though it was built before the amnesty and a great car.

The ad itself is still the issue I am annoyed about.

This has been presented by a trader as a certified classic historic vehicle and it is none of the kind. Passing this off as a classic Series 1 is fruadulent.

Not explaining to a buyer what he is actually buying is immoral and irresponsible and even if it has been build to safe standards (there are loads of safe ones built) it will lose someone a load of money down the line and they need to take the hit themselves and chalk it up to experience not pass the risk on to the next person.

• 1 month later...