Clutch?

Hi all.

Got a quick question about my clutch, it OK (1996 300tdi)so I believe, but the truck has done 180.000 klm's and I've been told that it would be due a new clutch, normally I would let symptoms make themselves aware before doing anything but I've a trip to Fraser island coming up ( check it out Fraser Island Qld Australia ) and for obvious reasons don't want any break downs due to what should have been done rather that things breaking! What would you suggest?

I would definitely suggest you replace the clutch release fork as these are renowned for the pushrod punching a hole through the middle without warning. If you weld a plate over the back of the pivot point on the new one it will prevent it happening in the future. And if your doing that then you may as well replace all the clutch parts. If you were just driving locally I'd leave it until it started playing up, but being as your going on a big trip I'd change it out. Steve

My 300tdi has 230000kms on the clock and i don't know if the clutch has ever been done,I wonder if there is any way to tell if it's been done maybe spanner marks on bolts or something,it does play on my mind .....along with at least 20 other things.

Clutches can last for ages with a sympathetic driver. My old van was still going strong at 300,000km on the original clutch. When the engine had to be changed at 175,000km there was no visible wear on the clutch so it was put back . And that was about 50% London driving, 50% country/motorway.

Chris