Black smoke on acceleration

Hi

I've got a 90 with a disco 200tdi engine in it. Its always smoked a little but now its failing on emmisions, to be fair it looks like a small forest fire is occuring when you hit the revs. Now, its black smoke which is a good sign, and only when you really rev it which indicates over fuelling. I havent looked to see if the pump has been messed with to increase the fuelling, but its a good bet it has as it always had a good bit of grunt more than i would have expected.

Before i look at the pump i checked the turbo, and the actuator doesn't seem to be doing very much. I took the arm off and it didnt move when i increased the revs. Should i see it move when revving the engine at a standstill or will it only move when the vehicle is actually moving and working? i understand you can test it with a footpump, any more info you can share on this?

Does this sound like it could be the cause? I'm tempted to replace the actuator before i do anything else but the only one i found was nearly 150 quid. any ideas where i can get one cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

You can test it with a pump but you should be careful as too much pressure will burst the diaphragm and then you will have to buy a new one! With the linkage disconnected, check that the wastegate will open freely by moving the lever operated by the diaphragm. If it is free, try blowing through the hose into the diaphragm. The point of this is to establish that the diaphragm is not punctured, not to get it to move. If it is not punctured and the lever/wastegate moves by hand then this is not likely to be your issue.

Try taking the top off the pump diaphragm and making sure that everything moves freely - diaphragm, springs and the small pin that bears on the 'ramp' at the bottom of the diaphragm. Be sure to clean it all before you start so no foreign matter gets in there and make a note of the position of the diaphragm before you remove it. When running, the diaphragm is pushed down against the spring by turbo pressure delivered through the black hose.

You might consider rotating the position of the diaphragm such that the 'ramp' pushes the pin in a little less on full movement (you will see that the cone on the bottom of the diaphragm is mounted eccentrically), this may reduce smoking. You may also consider turning the 'star' wheel where the diaphragm spring rests in an anticlockwise direction so that the spring resists movememnt of the diaphragm a little more strongly. Again, make a note of anything you adjust so that you can put it back later.

Chris