S3 petrol X Reg - is it really worth bog all

Ian Barrett

Hi guys,

Yes I know, nobody likes the "whats it worth" questions, so I apologise in advance, but I'm surprised by what I've found when looking this up.

I've just been approached by the farmer owner of an S3 who has been told his Landy isn't worth putting through the MOT because it needs £500 or so spending on it.

He's only told me about the following issues, and it wasn't in for an MOT so there is no list of failure items

Springs might pass/might not. The cleats are shot and keep popping off.

Both track rod ends need replacing

Brake cylinders leaking

(this last one probably explains why the brakes are so god awful despite being 'done' the back end of last year. If you ask me the only thing 'done' was the owner)

Speedo doesn't work (cable I think)

Now I only make that £350 in parts if he replaces the springs. So I guess the rest is labour.

The vehicle in question is

X reg (1982?)

SWB

Truck cab

60k miles

petrol (does that make it a 2.25? Its certainly not a V8)

ex farm vehicle and tatty but honest and all original.

He's been offered £350 and the examples I can find on ebay suggest its worth no more than £500ish

Is this correct and if so why are they so cheap?

Is it because it falls between 2 camps - Tax Exempt / Coil Sprung

At that price I have a mate who might buy it but I'll be doing all the work to get it sorted, so are there any pitfalls I need to look out for. I have access to the vehicle any time and have garage facilities.

Thanks for your help.

IanB

Whatever money it may be worth will be based on chassis bulkhead and engine condition.

I think they are quite desirable being the last of the model with the stronger gearbox and 5 bearing engine

but you do miss out on the desirability (justified or otherwise) of a 72 TE model or an earlier ser 11. This may be the lowest they will be so who knows?......... time to buy them?

Who's parts prices are you quoting - his or your own?

I wouldn't say that there's £350 worth of parts needed there.New springs, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, fluid, a couple of TRE's - maybe £200 or so. Do the work yourself and save a bundle. A tidy SWB S3 is worth that all day.

Les.

The value for scruffy S3's without an MOT starts at about scrap value. Generally when they've deteriorated to that state there's usually loads to do to make it a nice vehicle.

Obviously if its got something going for it - smart straight bodywork, excellent chassis, good bulkhead etc its value starts to rise a bit.

However if you partially strip it and stick it on e-bay with a hard luck story and describe it as 'rare' (whatever that means) it'll probably go for more than a decent one with a new MOT.

Who is the mechanic to tell the owner whether it is or isnt worth spending £500 on? You could easily spend that much on a good set of tyres, is that to say that a road worthy S3 with bald tyres is only fit to scrap?! I think the mechanic should mind his own business to be honest, and let the owner decide for himself. Such capable vehicles easily pay for themselves when worked, and even spending that much on a hobby truck is well worth it if you are fond of the truck. Spend the money and keep it on the road, they dont make them anymore you know!

I was guessing at the prices Les, based on a quick look at Paddocks.

I had a roll around under the car yesterday and I think the NSF brakes are leaking - well, something is dripping down the inside of the tyre for certain and it isn't from the hub.

Honestly, I'd love to have this to stick on a trailer and take to events just to have fun in. But my life won't be worth living if I buy another car when I don't even have a job at the mo.

But if my mate buys it I'll have all the heartache anyway because I'll be doing all the work for sure. And "mates rates" around these parts is 3/4 of bugger all :-)

So hang tight chaps, I think I've got a live one here !

Who is the mechanic to tell the owner whether it is or isnt worth spending £500 on? You could easily spend that much on a good set of tyres, is that to say that a road worthy S3 with bald tyres is only fit to scrap?! I think the mechanic should mind his own business to be honest, and let the owner decide for himself. Such capable vehicles easily pay for themselves when worked, and even spending that much on a hobby truck is well worth it if you are fond of the truck. Spend the money and keep it on the road, they dont make them anymore you know!

Haha! bang on mate. People are losing 40quid a week on depreciating cars but nobody tells them it aint worth it :hysterical:

It's what it's worth to you really.

Any unrestored Series that's had a hard life is going to have a catalogue of problems and to get them all done by a mechanic means a big labour bill. Parts are cheap, the repairs are (mostly) easy so it's more viable as a DIY prospect. Unfortunately if it's scruffy you're into things like chassis/bulkhead which are more involved and spendy. Well worth if if keeping the truck, as they just go on and on, but from the bottom line accountant's point of view not "worth it".

But then accountants are boring b*st*rds, so ignore them and do what you want!

An aquaintance of mine has a very tidy X reg 88" 2.25P, with very similar mileage, but it's stood in a barn unused for the last 7 years or so. The brakes need renewing, some chassis welding, set of tyres and a good T-cut.

He's recently been offered £500 for it, which he was happy to accept. He'd been on about selling it for a few years, and finally had a interested passer-by ask about it.

With some VERY straight body panels it will make its new owner a good foundation for restoration.

Logic does not apply with old Land Rovers or other objects of desire. Get this:

1. I buy an old Series III off some guys drive for £50

2. I then spend 8 months and many thousands re-building it with new chassis etc.

3. It's now worth probably around half what I've spent on it :)

2. I then spend 8 months and many thousands re-building it with new chassis etc.

.... but not to you :) It's worth every penny you spent on it, because you learned a lot doing it and you know it's all been done properly ...... not something you can ever guarantee unless you did it yourself.

EDIT: Of course even if you bodged some part or other at least you know you bodged it and any saving of time or money as a result of that bodge was your saving ;)

Exactly. Which corroborates the point FF was making. From a financial point of view it was stupid as I'm down several thousand pounds, but to me it was worth it.

And that's all that matters, after all if we only ever did the sensible logical thing we'd all be driving round in boring foreign cars :(

We went last night to have a good crawl around the Landy (why is it I have an aversion to calling them 'cars')

After digging out about 2 buckets full of muck from around the outriggers we had a good poke around the chassis.

These are the things we noted

The chassis, bulkhead, engine and gearbox are in pretty good nick.

The rear crossmember has been replaced. Shame the welder didn't have his mask that day and had to do it by feel !

The body is nicely 'patinated' and has some war wounds, but its not too bad.

The truck cab is quite dented. And apparently thats a replacement because it was rolled years ago. I'm surprised there wasn't more obvious signs of this so it survived well.

There are some obvious faults which we would need to rectify to get it through an MOT and then some which can be done later

NS outrigger needs replacing - the one in front of the back wheel which is just folded steel not box section.

NSF brake cylinder - there is something leaking onto the front tyre and I suspect its the brake cylinder. Which also explains why the rear brakes lock up under moderate braking.

OSR there is something dripping but we aren't sure what yet.

Track rods and steering arm linkages need a good looking at/replacing because the steering is very vague.

Speedo cable needs replacing

Dash bulbs all need replacing or there is a wiring fault.

Springs we've already been told and knackered.

Both door tops are rotting at the leading inside edge and the window seals are falling out. So new door tops maybe in order

New tailgate - the old one has been used without the chains on and left to drop onto the towball.

New drivers seat base

New handbrake gaiter

New gear lever gaiter

In fact the whole interior needs a damned good sorting out

I should mention this can't be a hobby for my mate. He has 2 year old twins so there are understandably always more important things than time in the garage at the minute (and probably for the next 10 years or so) so it will likely be more of a hobby/running restoration for me and his dad while I have no job and time on my hands.

Would £500 be a fair offer then budget about another £500 in parts to get it sorted and swap the truck cab for a full roof and sides?

I wouldn't be offering much more than scrap for that TBH (£350 ?), sounds like a helluva lot of work there.

£500 sounds.. about right, maybe a bit tight ;) Especially with the interior in poorer shape, some of the parts here are scarily expensive.

Having been involved in restoring all sorts of things from a Tiger Moth to a sack barrow I have my own rationalisation.

Is a jigsaw puzzle worth more when it is completed, or when it comes out of the box in pieces?

Answers on a postacard................

Having been involved in restoring all sorts of things from a Tiger Moth to a sack barrow I have my own rationalisation.

Is a jigsaw puzzle worth more when it is completed, or when it comes out of the box in pieces?

Answers on a postacard................

Ah but in this case you start with half a jigsaw and either have to make ( or pay someone else to make) the rest of the bits before you can complete it. So it's is a jigsaw worth more completed than in bits plus the cost of making/finding the missing bits ;)

Ah but in this case you start with half a jigsaw and either have to make ( or pay someone else to make) the rest of the bits before you can complete it. So it's is a jigsaw worth more completed than in bits plus the cost of making/finding the missing bits ;)

We are clearly coming from diferent directions. Getting the bits is part of the jigsaw, paying someone isn't. My motivation is not everyone's, I get more fun out of the rebuild than I do out of the end product.

Maybe I have too much time to spare. Off to put a new fuel tank into my 109 this afternoon.

I see what you mean now :) As in you have collected all the bits together ready to build, is it worth more together or apart?

I too think I get more enjoyment rebuilding things .... sadly I don't have enough space to rebuild an entire vehicle :(

Houston, we have another Land Rover !

This means the Kegworth Friday Night Car Club - which is just 4 of us who meet on a Friday (only occasionally now that 2 have had kids) for a beer and to talk about cars, now has a stable of British cars including Land Rover 90 Exmoor Trim Truck Cab, Land Rover S3 Truck Cab, TVR Griffith, TVR Chimaera, Westfield (unfinished in 10 years!)

We are picking up the latest 'thing' in about an hour and our first job is to jetwash it and see how many bits fall off :D

Dust off your thinking caps chaps, I have a feeling I'm going to be calling on you regularly for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my current series 3 nearly 4 years ago when it was on a "Q" plate for not much more than a set of new tyres at those prices (£500) and that included 9 months MOT and 3 months tax, however she has been a rolling project since but never been without an MOT, she now has age related plates on a "J" so free road tax, but I have invested five times what I paid for her to keep her rolling along, she has had a new rear fuel tank but needs the two front ones replacing which will have to be made to order

We are clearly coming from diferent directions. Getting the bits is part of the jigsaw, paying someone isn't. My motivation is not everyone's, I get more fun out of the rebuild than I do out of the end product.

Maybe I have too much time to spare. Off to put a new fuel tank into my 109 this afternoon.

as they are filled from their respective wing tops. As long as my jigsaw keeps rolling along I am happy