The 4x4 debate

Les Henson

All this week, the BBC breakfast news is listening to both sides of the 4x4 debate. They are inviting both sides to e-mail, text, or phone their point of view.

I have already sent an e-mail this morning, and have pointed them to this website. For those of you that want to e-mail them, then the e-mail address is:-

www.bbc.co.uk/breakfast

Perhaps if we all act on this, then people are more likely to listen to what we have to say.

It might be worth mentioning that reasoned statements, rather than a rant, are more likely to be read.

Les. :)

Mind you, they interviewed a woman that said "my diesel doesn't use much petrol"

All this week, the BBC breakfast news is listening to both sides of the 4x4 debate. They are inviting both sides to e-mail, text, or phone their point of view.

I have already sent an e-mail this morning, and have pointed them to this website. For those of you that want to e-mail them, then the e-mail address is:-

www.bbc.co.uk/breakfast

Perhaps if we all act on this, then people are more likely to listen to what we have to say.

It might be worth mentioning that reasoned statements, rather than a rant, are more likely to be read.

Mind you, they interviewed a woman that said "my diesel doesn't use much petrol"

Does any one know how many off roaders there are in the UK?

I ask this as it is would raise very important points:

IE

As a sport enjoyed by so many why is it disliked so much?

Motor racing seems to be ok so why not off roading

shooting weaponless birds in woodlands seems to be ok (guns are designed to kill) (4x4's are not)

we are not spending taxpayers( that's us) money on killing (unlike Tony B)

how do the numbers compair to; rant I mean Ramblers?

how many other people use woodlands in such large numbers?

Is this OUR country (for it is ours as well as the anti's) not for our use?

And when one considers private woodland is not used by jo public, it does not make sence to stop a sport

on private land when the land owner is supporting the sport on his/her land

I think it is about time that the sport is officialy accepted and supported

my 1p's worth

Lawrence

You clink on the 'E-Mail us' link on that page.

E-mail address is - breakfast.tv@bbc.co.uk

The problem is you have to accommodate for the lowest common denominator. With my new shiny EA Hat on, if the debate is banning offroading on byways, then you just need to see the mess that illegal offroading has done to the local byways. We have an stone bridge, ford and nice little byway round this way that has been trashed by 4x4s water splashing and hacking their own paths. How can you differentiate between someone who will tread lightly and someone who has no care for the environment? These activities cannot be easily policed, so it's easier to just ban everyone.

Now Urban 4x4s... Even with my EA hat on, I like my landy, and I want to keep it. I pay a premium for the fuel I use, and I don't see why they need to be shunned aside.

(BTW I didn't email this!)