Defender axle options

Hi I am wanting to change my front axle to a 24 spline and to get rid of the annoying rakio bushes I have to keep changing.

My question is will any disco 200 300 axle fit ok do they all have bearing on the upper pins. Also are the calipers interchangeable I see some have dual feed to the calipers so I may need to use my calipers.

Thanks in advance.

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Like VB says, Railko bushes last a long time. You can't really fit them wrong, but you could get the preload setting wrong, same as is possible with the axles with taper roller bearings top and bottom. This will result in vague steering with loads of kickback when you hit a pothole!

If you have bushes use oil, not one shot CV grease. That is my opinion, I'd use grease wih the later non Railko type. If your oil leaks out, fix the swivel seals/corroded swivels. If these leak then water can get in and trash the bushes, CVs an' all.

Save yourself some trouble and stick with what you have, and make sure you shim the preload correctly.

I did think i would swap the bush one last time as i have a spare in the shed but In stripping it down I cannot get the shaft out so I guess its twisted. So after trying to get a new shaft I may as well go down the route of another axle.

Also with the Bearing type is the steering not smoother mine was always quite heavy it maybe i did have the preload wrong.

Steering should be fine with the pre-load set up correctly. The steering has less pre-load force and is therefore technically easier to turn on the bearing models, but I found this made it more susceptible to being knocked about by potholes etc. in my experience and I greatly prefer the railko bush setup.

Plus the earlier models have the ability to drain the EP90 out, the only way to get the one-shot grease out of later ones is disassemble the thing or remove one of the lower pin bolts. No drain plug :(

If you have abnormally heavy steering, remove the steering shaft that goes from column to steering box. Check the UJs aren't seized as this can make steering seem quite heavy.

Other causes of heavy steering:

Extra wide tyres

Underinflated tyres

Excessive swivel preload

Poorly/not lubricated swivel bearings

Failing pump

Air in steering hydraulic system - normally accompanied by groaning noises too.