Waterproof plug

After some advice on here that I completely ignored, I got myself a wireless reversing camera kit. The kit should have been at the upper end of the wireless camera price range, but was mis-listed (camra) so £10.99 later (99p for kit £10 for postage) it became mine. :blush:

The kit comes with two cameras, and is actually really good quality the picture is more than workable. I intend to wire one of the cameras into a permanent 12v which will be my front 'obstacle' camera. I will have a play with it, but want to be able to see my front wheels so it is likely to sit somewhere near the TF box.

The other camera I want to be able to move around to either on top of the Landy to check height when going through barriers etc, or on the trailer as a reversing camera.

Although 'wireless', the Cameras require a 12v feed as I want to move them around I am looking for some waterproof 12v sockets that remain waterproof when disconnected, the cameras only draw 3amp's so they don't need a massive plug I am struggling to find something small waterproof and suitable!!! What do you recommend? And from where?

Thanks, Jason.

I suggest just having a look on Farnell (RS website is horrendous at finding stuff). You can just exclude anything that isn't IP67 and should have loads of choices then, depends on what you want to look for but I just searched for IP67 power connector and loads turned up. You may be able to source them from somewhere else that is cheaper but it'll at least give you an idea of what's out there.

I have a electric board utility body with metal plates in four corners , with 12v contacts flush in the middle of each, didn't know what they were , but guessed ( might be wrong) that they were for external lights with magnetic bases with spring loaded contacts. You could do the same, or with bolts sticking out to attach a bit more secure. I hope you know what I mean.

Brian

I would suggest that the Bulgin Buccaneer connector is ideal for your purpose -

Bulgin Buccaneer - http://www.bulgin.co...erStandard.html

Bucc_Stnd_cutaway_330p.jpg

* IP68 rating tested at 1.054kg/sq cm (15lb/sq in) 10m depth for 2 weeks and 9.84kg/sq cm (140lb/sq in) 100m depth for 12 hours

* Water and dust proof to IP68 when mated

* 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 25 pole

* 12A, 277V ac/dc 2 pole screw terminal, 3 pole screw terminal and crimp contacts

* 10A, 277V ac/dc 4 pole screw terminal

* 5A, 277V ac/dc 6 and 7 pole screw terminal

* 5A, 150V ac/dc 9 pole crimp contacts

* 5A, 50V ac/dc 12 pole crimp and solder contacts

* 1A, 50V ac/dc 25 pole crimp and solder contacts

* BNC versions 50Ω and 75Ω

* Plug or socket connection in each body style

* Compact design

* Diameter over coupling ring 38mm

* Sealing caps available to maintain IP68 rating of unmated connectors

* 7 body styles - flex cable, in-line flex cable, panel mount (front), panel mount (rear), PCB mount, bulkhead and flange mount

They're available from CPC, Farnell and RS.

I've had Bulgin Buccaneer 2-Way Connectors on my 110, used for the Rear Worklamps and Power Sockets, since I bought it new in 1989 -

th_IMG_0701.jpg . th_IMG_0702a.jpg

Not sure what they are called in English but boat people use something I would translate as a "deck socket". I've only seen low current ones so I haven't used them myself, but for your purpose I suppose they would do just fine.

Thanks Calle-fas,

I did look at them as I have one for the navigation lights on my boat but thought that they were a bit big for the job in hand, I will have a look to see if they do anything smaller.

I suggest just having a look on Farnell (RS website is horrendous at finding stuff). You can just exclude anything that isn't IP67 and should have loads of choices then, depends on what you want to look for but I just searched for IP67 power connector and loads turned up. You may be able to source them from somewhere else that is cheaper but it'll at least give you an idea of what's out there.

Thanks Ed,

I looked at the RS, Farnell's and Maplins websites before posting but as you say there is a massive choice and nothing jumped out at me as suitable, hence the question.

Jason.

I have a electric board utility body with metal plates in four corners , with 12v contacts flush in the middle of each, didn't know what they were , but guessed ( might be wrong) that they were for external lights with magnetic bases with spring loaded contacts. You could do the same, or with bolts sticking out to attach a bit more secure. I hope you know what I mean.

Brian

Exactly the type of think I was trying to provide, I already have a 12v supply on the roof for my work-lights but as these are permanently wired in I have used spade connectors sealed with heat shrink. I was hoping to tap into this 'loom' and put some sort of waterproof plug up there for the camera.

I would suggest that the Bulgin Buccaneer connector is ideal for your purpose -

Bulgin Buccaneer - http://www.bulgin.co...erStandard.html

Bucc_Stnd_cutaway_330p.jpg

* IP68 rating tested at 1.054kg/sq cm (15lb/sq in) 10m depth for 2 weeks and 9.84kg/sq cm (140lb/sq in) 100m depth for 12 hours

* Water and dust proof to IP68 when mated

* 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 25 pole

* 12A, 277V ac/dc 2 pole screw terminal, 3 pole screw terminal and crimp contacts

* 10A, 277V ac/dc 4 pole screw terminal

* 5A, 277V ac/dc 6 and 7 pole screw terminal

* 5A, 150V ac/dc 9 pole crimp contacts

* 5A, 50V ac/dc 12 pole crimp and solder contacts

* 1A, 50V ac/dc 25 pole crimp and solder contacts

* BNC versions 50Ω and 75Ω

* Plug or socket connection in each body style

* Compact design

* Diameter over coupling ring 38mm

* Sealing caps available to maintain IP68 rating of unmated connectors

* 7 body styles - flex cable, in-line flex cable, panel mount (front), panel mount (rear), PCB mount, bulkhead and flange mount

They're available from CPC, Farnell and RS.

I've had Bulgin Buccaneer 2-Way Connectors on my 110, used for the Rear Worklamps and Power Sockets, since I bought it new in 1989 -

th_IMG_0701.jpg . th_IMG_0702a.jpg

Thanks, they seem just the job I will take a look and report back.

Jason.