LR Rear Recovery points

Nige, I'd vote for either swivelly job's like Marks or D type ones welded into the bumper / rear cross member.

I'm looking at fitting two RUD-Lifting point eye bolts, we're using them at work and they are the dogs b*****ks, different sizes, rotate, looks like a screw in eye bolt, but has a rotating assembly and a ring, looking at the catalogue you can LIFT 2.6 tonne with a single bolt M16 and at a 90 degree angle to the thread again lift 1.3 tonnes so gawd knows what you can pull. will definately be fitting two at the front and as soon as the rear bumper is uprated two are going on the back.

If I can get the web address I'll post it but beleive me these things are GOOD.

Bill

http://www.activelifting.com.au/Rud/boltOn.htm#aWBG

Mmmmmmmmmmm Bill and Jez.

Have had a lookie at Active liftings website, some interesting stuff.

I know that the safe working load or working load limits and the fac=tors are different between the ratings for lifting and the rating for opulling (I have never understood why ??), so.

What is the safety factor for pulling in our application ?...and what tonnage would be right ?

When you end up with a BIG PTO Winch snatch blocks etc etc the forces can be erm.....Big ? :blink:

Thoughts ?

Nige

Mmmmmmmmmmm Bill and Jez.

Have had a lookie at Active liftings website, some interesting stuff.

I know that the safe working load or working load limits and the fac=tors are different between the ratings for lifting and the rating for opulling (I have never understood why ??), so.

What is the safety factor for pulling in our application ?...and what tonnage would be right ?

When you end up with a BIG PTO Winch snatch blocks etc etc the forces can be erm.....Big ? :blink:

Thoughts ?

Nige

I have never been able to establish the definitive safety factor as you seem to get different answers depending on who you ask ... BUT it is always much higher for lifting than pulling, which kind of makes sense. 2x for pulling and 5x for lifting seems to be the lowest common denominator, with about 10x for lifting people. I have also heard 7x mentioned for lifting and 12x for lifting people...

I also believe from everything I have found, that things like shackles and hooks which are "rated" (stamped) are rated for lifting, which I guess is why you find a 1 tonne stamped hook fitted to many Warn winches and a 2 tonne one on some others! Even the big swivel hook I have fitted to the Milemarker is only 3 tonne rated, but if it is at 5x safety factor, that should make minimum ping strength 15 tonnes, so it could be rated for 7.5 tonnes pulling at a safety factor of 2, at least that is the way I understand it. I am pretty sure none of the ratings take into account shock loadings which is important for us - it will be based on a steady pull.

I think where you see a rating that is qualified as "not to be used for lifting" (like seems to be the case with many snatch blocks for example) then that means the load is quoted with either a lower safety factor, or maybe even none at all .... in which case the "9000kg not for lifting" snatch block I have might go pop with the MM at full grunt (4700kg x 2) :blink:

I work on the basis of as big as possible for everything as I have spent ages looking in to it and have never found a "this is the right answer cos it says so in B.S. xxxx" answer.

my understanding of it is 6x lifting is the minimum deformation load, the M24's eyes Ive used have never deformed/failed or grumbled with me, I stalled the rear winch once pulling a defender through a wall on a double line and everything stayed put - I think the line would be the next week point but not the steelwork :)

my understanding of it is 6x lifting is the minimum deformation load, the M24's eyes Ive used have never deformed/failed or grumbled with me, I stalled the rear winch once pulling a defender through a wall on a double line and everything stayed put - I think the line would be the next week point but not the steelwork :)

What a very interesting way to knock a wall down :)

:lol:

"wall" soz - it was a square edged river - about 5 or so feet down to his bumper and he was dead engined so no drive assist to get him up and rolling, we ended up doing a little gardening and moving some shrubs about with the "pruning" equipment but we got him out in the end and dragged him another 4km.

it was a nasty nasty nasty place :(

Nige I have just had a look at the snatch block we have in stock (just an ordinary swingaway type) and it gives ratings for both on the label:

Hauling SWL 9.1 tonnes

Lifting SWL 3.4 tonnes

No info on safety factor though... :(