Defender Bulkhead

ajh

If I'm restoring a SIII and transplanting a 200TDI/LT77/LT230 into place is there any reason (short of needing the matching tranmission tunnel parts) that I shouldn't just use a newer Defender bulkhead and weld the windscreen mounts in place prior to galvanizing?

The foot wells are different, so the clutch and brake pedals will be at odd angles, while the accelerator pedal won't fit at all. The Defender bulkhead also lacks the indentation between the tops of the foot wells, which will leave a big void between the bulkhead and fascia and could cause problems clearing the throttle linkages. The foot wells will also not mate up with the steering box support brackets. The rest of the dimensions are fine, though.

At one time, a new TD5 bulkhead was cheap, and formed the basis of many SIII restorations. If you're fitting a 200 you might as well use a cable throttle, so use a 90/110 TDi throttle pedal setup. As you're using an LT you might as well use the 90/110 clutch pedal assembly, then that will fit. As for the brakes then, well you could do a disk all round conversion and use the 90/110 pedal for that too! I don't know what the laws are like in Canada for doing that sort of mod.

That is what i have done, complete defender 200tdi bulkhead, but i also went to powersteering and defender inner arches, look at my build and you get an idea of what i did.

I also stuck in the a defender seatbox and tunnel, floor just to make my life easier

G