Deepmud in Alaska - update/trip report/howdy again

deepmud

I pop in here now and again, and I noticed I haven't actually posted for a years........

The Samurai continues to evolve. I've been pleased with it's performance with the boggers (not yet cut) and the coil suspension. The TDI VW is still pretty much un-tuned - but the idle torque is so great it will spin all 4 tires(tyres :D) at idle.

deepmud1.jpg

deeeeeeepmud.jpg

mg_2010-094.jpg

zukonrocks.jpg

20120302_182715.jpg

the hunk o' glass by the front wheel in the pic above is to inserted in the over-cab area, sort of a sun-roof. It's the back-glass from a 97 F150 Pickup that I had lying around....but it will have to wait.

The plan for the camper was to have a warm-up place to watch the Iditarod racers go by - I have access to a "remote" area, mostly access by snowmobilers. It would have been cool - but the hybrid line from my ZF VW pump to my International Scout steering box failed again, blowing pink oil all over. No go. The next weekend I hauled it to a trailhead with a new custom line, much heavier built than my old one - but then I developed an airleak in the fuel lines :( Too much sitting around with no maintenance - I had it fixed later that afternoon, and the NEXT weekend there was another trail ride - and I made it! :D

20120318_102204.jpg

The Zuk is a trailer queen - I still haven't even put lights on it :D I added some spots so if I got stuck out at night I could see, but they are wired directly to the battery - they have switches built in so turning them on means getting out lol.

20120318_093249.jpg

The group was a mix of the stock and the heavily modified. The trail to the glacier is well-packed by snowmobiles in most areas.

20120318_105744.jpg

The occasional drift can catch the unwary ...........

20120318_104827.jpg

but last weekend there was even a Rover along, with no mods other than a set of chains.

My co-worker brought his stock Xterra, and had a blast

:D

20120318_105405.jpg

20120318_105901.jpg

20120318_110211.jpg

20120318_110227.jpg

20120318_111750.jpg

A few miles in, we stopped to decide whether to take the summer-route, through the trees, or take advantage of the front river some more - we chose the summer route - more fun, although I discovered it was much different with a huge, wide, tall camper on the back . I wacked a few trees......

20120318_111951.jpg

20120318_111954.jpg

20120318_112417.jpg

the woods

20120318_114322.jpg

20120318_114725.jpg

we came to some "overflow" - areas where underground, unfrozen water reaches the surface, and flows out, making REALLY slick, mounded sections of trail...

20120318_114903.jpg

20120318_114910.jpg

Perfect terrain for chains - none of us had chains. :D

th_20120318_115258.jpg

th_20120318_115720.jpg

The Xterra had studded, winter tires - and just rolled across......for me it was a careful crawl - and I got thru without drama, mostly due to luck :D

We came out of the trees, and crossed a couple miles of flats, with the glacier getting closer ever so slowly...........

IMG_0328.jpg

stopping finally at a last series of river crossings...

IMG_0305.jpg

The Jeep ZJ ran down to play - and the different typed and depth of snow showed itself......

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

The group decided to stay there at the "last mile" - the Samurai could easily have made it to the glacier, and the Rubicon - but the other rigs risked punching through the crust. Once you break it, it can be really tough to get up on top again. A half mile that took just a couple minutes to cross can take hours and hours to winch back through.

Once the Zj was winched out of it's hole, we played a bit.

th_IMG_0309.jpg

The V8 ZJ made about 20 attempts to climb up the embankment, but it's really a nearly vertical gravel cliff, filled in with windblown snow. 33" tires were just too small.

th_IMG_0310.jpg

You'll notice, the Samurai made it looks silly-easy.....

Great machines, those Zukes.

Of course, this is a Land Rover forum. Any Land Rovers there?

I have a one end of a high pressure power steering line from BullBarCowboy - does that count? ...man, where is a Pirate4x4 flipoff when you need one....lol

I missed out on the Land Rover run ....

100_3109.jpg

...man, where is a Pirate4x4 flipoff when you need one....

Here, you can borrow mine thefinger.gif I was gonna give it you anyways for making everyone here insanely jealous! Loving the SJ work, having been to Alaska last year I can now see that owning an SJ is the local equivalent of owning a Prius :lol:

Thanks FridgeFreezer! http://www.juracid.co.uk/gallery/forum/thefinger.gif

baxter is in training for the Iditarod, don' cha' know? I just put 'er in neutral and we roll along! :D

I did post on Pirate - I lurk there a lot too :D

Tracks

20120304_101141.jpg

same tracks, on a Jeep Wagoneer - pretty interesting video, especially when they "run over" the cameraman:

572463.jpg

:D Rover Content! Love for the Cuthbertson, because they thought of it first:

1220200752849pm.jpg

• 6 months later...

:D thanks. It's a critter built for a specific task in a specific environment - it would do well in most of the Taiga, here in Alaska or Russia or Canada.

Waay down on power - I'm going to have to learn the insides of the Bosch pump :P

No comments on the rover moose-buggy thingy?.....I thought you (the lot of you :D )would be horrified :D But then maybe it's like cutting up the suburban that donated the chassis - no big deal since there are lots of them over there.