Deepmud in Alaska - update/trip report/howdy again

deepmud

yeah - the ptarmigan in winter are usually not seen until they explode out of snow under your feet - gives you quite a start when you aren't expecting it :D

One more for fun - Grizzly at Brooks River, Katmai Lake. I was able to spend three days at Agulawak Lodge about 7 years back - talk about WOW! what a place.

lonebear.jpg

T

Stunning pictures.

Thank you for posting.

:D

Thanks! These are all my own images - I've been in some cool places in the last 30 years or so (geeze I'm getting old :D) and luckily I've been using a digital camera since about the time they became "affordable" - my first 2.1 megapixel Olympus was over 700 dollars in 1990. My UZ 2100 was only about 500, and still only 2.1 megapixel, but it has an awesome image stabilization and a 10x optical zoom - It's been a great "Alaska" camera - pictures of eagles are not "white dots in trees". Then it was a $1200 E-10 - 4 megapixels, 4 optical zoom - my first "pro-sumer" camera - really, I bought it for the wife but she let me use it, lol. Then I got her a Canon 10D and a 28-135 IS lens ($2000!!!) - that camera is 12 years old now - we have a 3 of that vintage because the used market for them is terrible - the 2nd and 3rd were only 200 bucks, used. Still a great camera - 6.3 megapixels are hard to tell apart from decent film images. My newest toy is a Sony rx100 - 21 megapixels! And fantastic low light function - and it fits in my pocket. I've gotten some nice aurora with it - and it's great to have a GOOD camera that is easy to pack along.

Aurora with the Sony - I was working at 2am in Whittier, Alaska . The Aurora were gone again in 15 minutes.

10245543_10154084535695484_1968873138348

Denali last week - I was working on fiber on the road system - this is Trapper Creek, Alaska

10872877_10155010359410484_6594051452748

the old Canon 10D last year (Denali from the north side)

221074_10150582434995484_6883601_o.jpg

Tuckers: They have been a common snow rig for Alyeska Pipeline, who operate the Alaska Pipeline for the oil companies (like BP). They aren't the BEST snow cat (they can get stuck in relatively shallow snow - requiring rescue via Caterpiller tractors) , but are transportable on public roads with a slide-back flatbed truck(big lorry :D) - they weigh about 10k pounds, and are less than 8 feet wide. In Alaska, past 8 foot 6 inches and it needs a special permit, special driver license, and a chase truck. My company bought a $200k Bombardier Snow Cat - but at about 10 and half feet wide, it was hugely expensive to transport up and down the highway.

I think the chief advantage for a Tucker in a "corporate environment" is they steer like a truck - they don't need a decent driver - about any idiot can drive one (hence the getting stuck lol). I think Alyeska could learn a lot from Icelandic 4x4's - but they won't. Instead, they use suuuuper narrow, hard tires on heavy diesel trucks (like 8 or 9000 pounds of truck) that make for some not so good 4x4's when the snow pack is soft - or the ground is soft - in the spring.

Well yeah - it's more the details that are not obvious to those who don't spend their lives in minus-lots, like do we have to lag and/or heat the water tank, how much insulation is enough, which bits are prone to freezing solid unexpectedly... all the stuff it's far easier to do during the build than afterwards.

Got an eberspacher & cavity walls but that's not a complete solution!

I don't want to derail the thread but as we're quite fancying taking the campbulance to a few cold places, are there any tips (or good websites) on vehicle/camper design/prep for proper cold places?

Sorry to be tongue in cheek there - yes - I think there was a LOT of good details in one of the Turtle Expedition campers - I have the actual paper magazine but maybe I can find an article online about it. If not I'll get the paper version up for you :D

Hi Erik, and any other Alaskan members. We are taking a family holiday in Alaska in late August/early September. Its one of those bucket list things/trip of a lifetime (Unfortunately not in a Landy).

The party is me, Lady Studmuffin, Daughter, her husband, Son and his girlfriend.

We are going from Anchorage by train and doing a tour of Denali Park then back on the train to Anchorage to pick up 2 Motor homes for 2 and a half weeks touring. Obviously no where near enough time but that's all the time we can get off work.

We are busy looking at our route planning. Any do-able suggestions or tips gratefully received.

Cheers

Barry

Well yeah - it's more the details that are not obvious to those who don't spend their lives in minus-lots, like do we have to lag and/or heat the water tank, how much insulation is enough, which bits are prone to freezing solid unexpectedly... all the stuff it's far easier to do during the build than afterwards.

Got an eberspacher & cavity walls but that's not a complete solution!

And - how long/how often camp in cold? how cold is cold? 0C? -40C? Lots of locals just winterize every fall (drain water/heater/add ant-freeze) and "rough it" when they use the RV in winter - bottled water - just insulate/heat the poop-tank enough to be able to use it. Most the mistakes that can't be fixed are in the water and waste systems :D

Hi Erik, and any other Alaskan members. We are taking a family holiday in Alaska in late August/early September. Its one of those bucket list things/trip of a lifetime (Unfortunately not in a Landy).

The party is me, Lady Studmuffin, Daughter, her husband, Son and his girlfriend.

We are going from Anchorage by train and doing a tour of Denali Park then back on the train to Anchorage to pick up 2 Motor homes for 2 and a half weeks touring. Obviously no where near enough time but that's all the time we can get off work.

We are busy looking at our route planning. Any do-able suggestions or tips gratefully received.

Cheers

Barry

What time of year? Do you plan to fish? Are you into renting kayaks and such or taking sight seeing tours on bigger boats to see wildlife? The Denali Park could be amazing. Lots of Critters. Will the RV rentals allow you on the Denali Highway (not needed to see Denali - it used be - it's not paved, it's beautiful but has a rough reputation). Will you be headed south to from the RV rental? Or north? Our roads are limited - you might have to back-track to get to Homer then back to Fairbanks .... or you could go to Fairbanks, and back to Anchorage by a differnt route - or back with a side trip thru Denali Highway if they allow - :D or you can spend 2 weeks in the Homer/Kenai/Seward area - it's all beautiful country, I'll brainstorm some ideas with the wife this evening :D

Hi Erik. Thanks for the input.

We have a blank sheet of paper but the limiting factor is we have to return the RV to Anchorage, so we have to try for a looped journey. We are really keen on seeing the wildlife. When we have rented RVs in Aus and NZ they generally disallow unpaved roads or beaches. Will check this and the Denali Highway.

Would like to get some fishing in if time allows. If sea fishing, I usually find that by the time you drive to the next

camp the tide has just gone way out. LOL

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Mods if you feel that as its not exactly LR related please let us know, and we can PM.

Cheers

Barry

Barry - if it helps, when we went we rented from Go North and they don't mind what you drive on as long as you wash the mud off before handing it back. Drove ours up to the arctic circle sign, out to Kennecott (copper mine ghost town, WELL worth a visit although the campsite is beyond minimal and had the least appealing toilet & shower I've ever seen, including at music festivals) on dirt roads and had no issues, although they reckon on most punters holing a tyre & chipping the screen if they venture off tarmac.

Erik - We're not intending "polar explorer" extremes but there's a few places we'd like to visit (Alaska, Iceland, Norway) during the snowy season where temps hovering around -10 to -20 for a week or two might be expected.

ugh...computer crashed before my post got up......in the meantime, while I rebuild my long-winded post... :D....some more pics - I work on the 11th floor of a office building in Anchorage, Ak - some cool views yesterday morning....if you look close you can see the Fata Morgana stretching some the mountains.....these are cropped/digitally zoomed photos 'cause it's pretty far off :D

Fata Morgana and Mt. Foraker

DSC04418-1.jpg

Mt. McKinley - or Denali :D

DSC04419-1.jpg

View to the east - the Alaska Range - lots closer than Denali - these would be foothills around Denali. Funny - you often can't see much of Denali when you go there.

Too many big mountains when you get close.

DSC04422-1.jpg

Lady S has already booked an RV with ABC motorhomes and they do not cover driving on gravel roads buddy. :angry2: But it does have a couple of slide out pods :i-m_so_happy:

We spent 4 days and New Years Eve 2014 in Oslo Norway and it got light at 9:30am and dropped dark at about 2pm. It felt very strange but a great place with luvly people, and so expensive we couldn't afford to get trolleyed. Beer is mega money and the cheapest bottle of wine with a meal is £50.

We were also lucky enough to go to Iceland last July for 5 nights. It went darkish for about 15 minutes every day. This also felt slightly strange but you manage to sleep if the hotel has blackout curtains. Again, really nice friendly people, and a really lively place. Restaurant menus with Puffin and Entrecote of Foal are not unusual( and they love their horses!) Didn't have time to go offroading in Defenders with big doughnut tyres :ph34r:

Both places were great big ticks off our bucket list and we would love to go back.

Barry