200Tdi Injection Pump Removal

Hi all,

I'm removing the injection pump off of my Defender 200tdi tomorrow and i've never done it before. So to save a lot of work i was wondering, can i remove the pump by only taking off the small inspection plate on the timing cover? Or do i have to do it the long way around by removing the whole timing cover and everything else that goes along with it?

if you have the timing gear holding tool, the pump can be removed without stripping the timing case front cover & water pump off, then it's the 3 small bolts on the timing gear & the 3 nuts securing the pump to rear face of timing case & the pipes to injectors & elcet wire to shutoff unit

when was the timing belt changed ? if unknown now would be a good time to do that job as well. & then you can get the timing set up correct.

wouldn't attempt these jobs without a timing tool kit like this one mine came from ebay, just a good.

Thanks for the reply!

I changed the timing belt last year at about this time hence why i don't really want to take everything apart again if i don't have to.

I'm guessing that timing kit simply has a few bolts that screw into the pulley and hold it within the inspection hole so it doesn't fall down in to the timing case? ... if it's as simple as that i could easily manufacture something myself of the same function, or am i missing something?