European LandRovering

Turbocharger

Right, the car is cocooned in blind-spot mirrors and we've got more guide books than you can shake a stick at. All the bearings are greased or oiled and I've got to figure out how I get the little 12v compressor to blow air through a 2" filler plug. All good.

Major problem now though - the 600W inverter won't run my girlfriend's 75W straightening tongs. It runs a laptop charger and 100W household bulb quite well, but when the straighteners are plugged in, nothing. Not even the LED. Is my holiday to fall at the last hurdle, preparation complete but for a square/sine wave oversight? She won't go if each day brings wavy wavy big hair. Help me o forumeers.

(Seriously, all's well and we're set for a fantastic time. 240V would be handy though)

Just do what i've been doing all week with Jan whilst on a boat on the Norfolk Broads (same problem) tell her she looks really good with wavy/curly hair. You will of course be lying but she will be happy and at least you will know no other Norfolk/French geezers wil be checking her out....... :ph34r:

Hat, coat, I'm outta here......

• 3 weeks later...

Ba-da! I'm back. 2000 miles, 7 countries, 12 campsites and a youth hostel. Total LR issues: 1 speedo cable as we drove back into England off the ferry (and one non-start when I left the fridge on, but it push-started). An excellent holiday, I'd certainly do a similar thing again. Photos will follow I'm sure.

If my memory is working, in order:

Ing-er-land

France

Switzerland

Germany

Luxembourg

Belgium

Holland

Belgium (again)

France (again)

England

The basic route was to Paris for two nights, down to Dijon, over to Geneva, skirt the Alps to Lausanne and Zurich, up to Stuttgart (Oktoberfest indeed!) and then to Strasbourg. Finishing up via Brussels and Brugge and back to Calais. We used the autobahns but didn't really touch the French peage. There's so much more to see via the RN.

There are Land Rover dealers in large cities, but there are small Land Rover garages selling the likes of Britpart and Allmakes, etc.

One of which in nr Chavanod near Annecy in Haute-Savoie. The guy there does Raid Events and has a well stocked garage.

If you need something and are struggling, the like of Paddocks or LR Supermarket will post stuff out. Just put up your tent and wait for the Postman to arrive at the site.

T.