Tanker Drivers' Strike

RichardAllen

The prime minister recommends making sensible contingency plans in case there is a tanker drivers' strike.

I have just filled up our house central heating oil tank with 1000l of heating oil. With Summer coming on it won't be used quickly in the house.

As a strike contingency plan can I run a 300TDi off this stuff ? I assume it is illegal.

Regards

Richard

First yes it would be illegal as no duty has been paid.

I know people who have run engines on heater oil, generally the older and simpler the engine the easier it is as old engines were designed to be more tolerant of variable fuel quality.

There is also a variation in types and qualities of heater oil, not to sure how this works but I am sure some one will.

I expect a 300TDi would run on heater oil but may not be to happy and don't forget the heater oil won't have the same type of detergents and additives a engine fuel oil would so it may harm the engine in the long run.

If you add one of the diesel 'improvers' such as Millers to it, it will be pretty much as good as bought diesel in terms of detergent. A 300 Tdi should run OK on it so long as it's not too viscose.

Even though there is no road duty on it which makes it illegal to use, you can get a form where you declare the usage and pay the duty.

Si

Well the government have said I should fill the Jerry can's in my garage as I currently have10 of them that's 200L of diesel plus the 80l in the defender, are we going to get a grant for this level of fuel purchase!! :blush:

Jason.

<smug>

It's times like this I'm glad there's a 1500l diesel tank at work :P

</smug>

Seriously though, with any luck it won't come to a strike. If it does then we'll be in for all sorts of hell, not because there actually will be a shortage of fuel...just because of people panic-buying under the perception that there will be.

<smug>

It's times like this I'm glad there's a 1500l diesel tank at work :P

</smug>

Seriously though, with any luck it won't come to a strike. If it does then we'll be in for all sorts of hell, not because there actually will be a shortage of fuel...just because of people panic-buying under the perception that there will be.

Sorry James, just to be clear I was being flippant I have no plans to buy extra Diesel if we run out we run out, as I work from home or in Europe it's not really a big issue for me, it does make me laugh though it's a bit like Christmas when the shops close for a day!!!

I think the government advise actually lead to the panic rather than helped it and I now see on the news that they have retracted the statement although Gregs will still have to pay VAT on pasties!!

Jason.

the stupid b****** already are, our two local garages have been clear out!! :o and the next closest want 151.9 per liter!!!! :o:banned:

Sorry James, just to be clear I was being flippant I have no plans to buy extra Diesel if we run out we run out, as I work from home or in Europe it's not really a big issue for me, it does make me laugh though it's a bit like Christmas when the shops close for a day!!!

I think the government advise actually lead to the panic rather than helped it and I now see on the news that they have retracted the statement although Gregs will still have to pay VAT on pasties!!

Jason.

I did figure you may have been joking ;)

Yes the government have done their usual trick of causing a bigger mess. I was quite amused listening to the chancellor discussing the pasties issue earlier though ^_^

Jason.

You could of course (with your tinfoil hat on) come to the conclusion that the government caused the panic buying on purpose to turn the public against the truckers.....

Anyway don't they have to actually give 7 days notice when they announce the strike date? By which time the panic buyers will need another tankfull!

Talk about ridiculous, one gov't monkey says a dumb thing, now Horley is devoid of diesel due to panic buying.

Just think - all that fuel sold, and all the tax on it. The PM must be laughing :o

Unfortunately it's. Going to affect turnout for Newbury and various comps on this weekend.

You could of course (with your tinfoil hat on) come to the conclusion that the government caused the panic buying on purpose to turn the public against the truckers.....

you have that one absolutely spot on.

when people are sat in a queue for fuel over the next few days - and if the stike happens and fuel stocks run low - do you think average Joe is going to blame the govt or the truckers on strike?

thats right, they'll be yelling at truckers and Unite for being **/@ers - and dont forget the govt will make sure that the press reports on average truck driver wages in the run up and over the strike (i beleive avg hgv driver earns more than the average national wage, so instantly they will alienate 50% of hte population who earn less than them).

cameron et al may not be the brightest sparks in the world - but they are still canny political operators.

LOL @ the UK !

Here's a picture from Zimbabwe. This is a fuel que :(

305658_10150763517163278_673983277_11401752_757703967_n.jpg

There was no fuel in the country and when it came in it was in small batches. Word would get out a couple hours before that a certain fuel garage was expecting some and then the que would start...leading to something like this !

This was just before i left in about 2000.

It isn't too bad now. But financially things were different back then with black market trading etc.

G

LOL @ the UK !

Here's a picture from Zimbabwe. This is a fuel que :(

305658_10150763517163278_673983277_11401752_757703967_n.jpg

There was no fuel in the country and when it came in it was in small batches. Word would get out a couple hours before that a certain fuel garage was expecting some and then the que would start...leading to something like this !

This was just before i left in about 2000.

It isn't too bad now. But financially things were different back then with black market trading etc.

G

how does the tanker get in haha