first time offroading

hello everybody , just re registered ( could'nt log in for some reason )

anyway heres the thing , over the last year or so i've been rebuilding my 90 with the intension of going offroading with a group off friends, but like always they all pulled out at various stages and i was left on my own and nobody to go with :(

anyhoo , a few weeks ago i bumped into another friend of mine who i had'nt seen for years and he happens to be into landrovers aswell , :D:D so i tagged along with him and his gang and went with them . and oh my god :o:o i loved it :lol::lol: , ( i need to stay away from the ......ermm.... cow waste ) :blink::blink:

but due to the fact i put a 200tdi in place of the 2.5 nad , and we have been flying up and down the motorway, my gearbox has decided it's not impressed with the extra power and is voicing it's opinion .

so , i've got the 200tdi engine and a disco tranfer box with an lt77 in the middle and i was wondering , the box needs to come out anyway , so one of the options is to replace it with an auto box , but , not being an auto box expert i need to know a few things first . firstly is it a good idea or not ?, and secondly will it go in without chopping my chassis up ? cos it's a new one and it's galvernised , so i don't want to alter it .

also , how do they perform offroad ? my main concern is engine braking !! cos one of the things i learned pretty quick was don't touch the brakes going down hill in mud :o:o GULP !!

so if any of you offroading experts can give me some advice , gearbox or offroading , i would be very gratefull .

also , i need some bomb proof undies aswell cos i've got new seats and i don't want to make a mess :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i believe the conscensus is autos are better for offroad, quicker changes and no loss of momentum etc but i us a 200tdi and LT77.

cheapest and prob easiest way is just to get another LT77 (exchange from Ashcrofts would get my vote) and change same for same.

arent the gears slightly taller in an auto as well so although locked in say 1st gear, it will go faster on decent than manual?

i believe the conscensus is autos are better for offroad, quicker changes and no loss of momentum etc but i us a 200tdi and LT77.

cheapest and prob easiest way is just to get another LT77 (exchange from Ashcrofts would get my vote) and change same for same.

arent the gears slightly taller in an auto as well so although locked in say 1st gear, it will go faster on decent than manual?

auto is better ehh ... did'nt know that ! sounds promising .

exchange ashcroft was the planned route , was gonna contact them this week . but i'm thinking of going auto now . i think i need to check it out some more though .

thanks for that ..

I have a 200tdi with a 3 speed auto in my 110. Yes its better. But if you go to auto, I think, you need to move the gear box mounts and change the props. Also its getting hold of an auto box to fit a TDI. Mine was converted to auto when new and has an adapor plate inbetween the box and engine.

Paul