deep sump for GKN overdrive unit - is it a J or P type?

soutie

I am currently in the process of stripping and then rebuilding my 110, and wondered how much it would cost to machine a deep sump to replace the sump plate on my GKN overdrive unit? If I did go down this route what pointers should I look out for? Looking at the current sump plate, it has a magnet stuck to where it butts up against the mesh filter. If I do get a deeper one machined do I need to make sure that there is always a magnet next to the mesh filter etc?

Or does anybody know if the Land rover item is a J or P type unit? If it is should I discount my above idea and contact maximum overdrive at http://www.maximum--...m/products.html for their deep sump.

The reason I want to do this is to increase the units oil capacity and have more surface area to disperse heat.

The idea I had was to get something similar to http://www.rockymoun...s/52-zoomed.jpg.

Thanks

Peter

Without a circulating pump, how much difference does a larger volumn of oil make in the long term? Or are they imersed gears anyway?

Just wondering, as I built an extra deep sump for the Series t'box to increase its oil capcity, as per the LT230 one made by RM, but can't fit it until I've rebuilt the exhaust which currently runs right under the t'box...doh!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I'm contacting people in Maximum Overdrive to get the information. I believe one problem in GKN is the small sump. Since I'm using in Brazil, heating is the problem.

In this case more oil, more lubrication....

I'm trying some improvements in my Overdrive, only now after running100,000 km at temperatures of 40 º C will open for a general exchange ino-rings.

Hopefully i'll have a GKN ovedrive very soon for my 110, i plan to make myself a sump to go onto the overdrive so i'm sure if people want them i can make a few more while i'm at it for some beer/nappy vouchers.

I would be interested in that, if you go ahead.

Brian

IIRC the GKN unit is a updated R type similar to that fited to Triumph mk2 2500 PI 6 cylinder cars, no idea if that maximum part will fit. the rockymountain version will as it was made for the GKN unit.

The Rocky Mountain extended sump fits the LT230, but that's not much use for the GKN overdrive as they don't (or shouldn't!) share oil (unlike the RM unit).

The GKN overdrive appears to be a J type internally, certainly I didn't find any particular differences from the articles here.

Machining a deeper sump from a suitably sized solid lump of ally should be trivial. You'll want 'something' standing proud in the middle to prevent the screen filter falling down, might as well make that the magnet swarf catcher at the same time.

• 5 years later...

Its till on my list of jobs to do, i have got a very poorly GKN overdrive in my Attic and I have a couple of methods to make a sump. 

What i need at the minute is some pictures/measurements of a fitted overdrive on a 110 and a 90 to see what i can put where.

If you can get me some pictures I'll see about making a start. 

On 21/04/2018 at 4:28 PM, vulcan bomber said:

What i need at the minute is some pictures/measurements of a fitted overdrive on a 110 and a 90 to see what i can put where.

I can be doubly unhlepful there - I've got plenty of pictures of the RM Overdrive fitted to our 127 if that's of any use at all? :unsure:

One point of note: on the V8 I found the exhaust runs pretty close to the finned sump and the combination seemed to be making the transfer box hotter not cooler. Solution #1 was to bolt some shielding to the exhaust, solution #2 is the Y-piece & pipe to silencer will be re-made to move the exhaust an inch or two away from the box and a bit closer to the chassis.

Sorry - found one now. Also a photo of the maximum overdrive one installed. I was thinking of instead of the deep sump as per maximum overdrive. Just a spacer using the original cover plate, as per my very poor excel mock up.

20160806_150850.jpg

Snip of Deep sump.JPG

example of sump.JPG

sump idea.JPG

Edited by soutie
spelling

Peter there are as I say, a few options to look at. I have considered making a new rear cover where the filler plug is, but I dont think that would allow the overdrive to be removed with it still on the overdrive.

I can do similar to what your excel CAD shows but you don't gain much capacity. the way forwards is similar to the effort shown in your 2nd picture. It would certainly allow a lot more capacity.

Would people prefer this or my other option of me making a new rear cover, but having to remove the cover before removing the OD unit on a 110? I can also get gaskets made for a lot less than Devon sell them for. Any input welcome.

There’s not really room to add a deeper cover David. On the 110 there is about an inch behind the overdrive before you will be touching the chassis crossmember. It’d be so small I don’t think it’d be worth the gain and filling and removing it would be very fiddly. 

The deeper sump is the solution but we just need to make sure it doesn’t sit too near the exhaust (or add deflectors for the heat) and doesn’t sit too low (shouldn’t as the transfer box is lower). 

Locating the mesh filter and magnet will be sensible (not that mine ever seems to catch much - hopefully nothing to catch!)

And a drain plug would be lovely!

David, on checking today Reb78 is correct. There is only an inch or so  behind the overdrive before the chassis cross member on my 110. My preference would be a deeper sump. I also agree with Reb78 about a drain plug so that one does not need to take all bolts out to drain the oil.

Tuesday, the ramp goes in (hopefully) and then, when i can walk around under the car, i can get lots of measurements. I need to take my spare OD apart but I cant think how the oil will circulate at the back so i dont know if it will add extra capacity but not actually mix well (i.e. cooler oil circulating with the hot stuff to keep the unit cooler and make the oil last longer). I still think the pickup is in the current sump, so we could make it draw cooler oil from there easier.