Central Locking System

corbs

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on a little problem (more of a nuisance really).

I recently purchased a 1995 Land Rover Discovery, and everytime that I turn the igntion to the "ON" position, all of the doors automatically lock. They unlock as soon as I turn the key off. It would be great if I could disable this feature, but I have no idea how to do this.

Does someone know??

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if this 'feature' is intentional, I've certainly never heard of it before! Sounds more like an electrical problem to me, possible dodgy earth.

Could be completely wrong about that though, might just be a switch somewhere that needs flipping.

Dave

Are you sure you're not resting your elbow on the driver's door lock when you turn the key :)

Got to be electrical, I'd suggest sourcing a replacement central locking/alarm ECU from eBay as much of it seems unserviceable.

Could definitely be a possibility, remotely started you'd want some way of keeping the vehicle reasonably secure so connecting to the central locking would be the easiest way.

At a guess I would think theres going to be a signal wire from the remote start unit to the central locking ecu but where would be guesswork without seeing the vehicle. Only clue I can give is the central locking ecu is in the passenger footwell so look for a wire heading that way from the remotestart unit.

It sounds like a dash wiring fault to me, but it could be an ECU fault as the central locking, alarm and immobiliser all share the same ECU. I have found a company called RemoteKey extremely helpful with this sort of thing, and they seem quite content to give free trouble shooting advice over the phone. I later used them to fit the later two-button fob system as used on the DII to my RRC - they modify them for you to do a DIY fit to earlier models of RR and DI so you can get the more reliable and better featured system, and they will enagle and disable secondary functions on the new unit to the customers wishes which LR won't do.

Ive got an after market alarm with remote starter on my d1 and it locks the doors when I press the brake and unlocks when i turn the engine off, its an anti hijacking feature that is standard on lots of alarms/starters these days.