With All The "fun" Thats Ben Going On....

Hybrid_From_Hell

With all the exitement thats been going on...

I suddenly remembered an old and ongoing Post ....

So.........

Spill the beans then Lesmond, whats :

happened...

happening...

going to happen....

might of happended but didn't...

or did happen and you just haven't told us

on the Jolly Saga of the "TDi Engine that thought it was a Kettle" ?

Nige :ph34r:

I had a bit of a job trying to figure out what you two were on about for a minute! :blink:

If it's Land Rover related, then sad to say that a short while after I finished fitting the TDi engine into the 90, which is actually Sue's - she chucked me in. [sad]. The 90 is hers, so she has it. The ltwt is hers, so she has taken that back. As there were more important things in my life, such as setting up a new life with her, I decided that it wouldn't be feasable to re-build catflap, the S2A, and the S1, so I gave her all the bits for the S1 as she seems to collect them anyway. ;)

At present I don't have a Land Rover in working order, The 2A is ready for a tart up and then an MOT. I'll then sell it for a profit and use the money to try to get my life back in some kind of order. I drove to Tonys Bash in a poxy Pug 309, and that pile of carp is what I'm driving at present. I hate the comfort and near silence, but it's what I have to put up with for now. I'm going as fast as I can to get catflapII back on the road. The engine went in it today, and if I was to work on him and nothing else I could get him all finished within a couple of weeks. Work has picked up unfortunately. I tried to get this weekend just to work on him, but I have two jobs turn up that I'll have to do. The paint supplier has let me down three times now, and I have to wait again for another week for the metallic blue that I'm using. The body is painted, as is the front panel, bonnet, both doors, and one wing. The 'Wolf type' door tops had to be dismantled to be painted, and they don't come apart like a series one does. Rivets have to drilled out, glued bits have to carefully prised apart, and the glass has to masked because the window slide and handle are glued to the glass. It took me a whole day to take one apart, wash it, degrease it, prime twice, top coat 4-times. I have got the steel tubing to make the exhaust, the downpipe will be the original item and I have to wait until next week for that as Bearmach don't have one in stock.

Sue has the radiator and associated pipework for the new engine, so I will have to buy new bits.

Splitting up has broke my heart to be honest, things are real bad at present.

I have to say that Fiona has been a shoulder to cry on, she's a true friend. As are Tony and Val, and a few others.

There has also been things going on behind the scenes that you will all become aware of eventually. There will be new Admin, at least in part.

I was Tonys winch Biatch, and it was fun, and a little painful. I enjoyed meeting a lot of old friends and some new ones, drinking too much, having three girls scream in my lug-hole :angry: , and Val trying to match me up with a scary lady :D

That's it, how sad can it get?

Here's a dead sexy piccy of catflap I took at 4:45pm today (Saturday) isn't he, erm sexy? B)

Shed01-copy.jpg

Shed02-copy.jpg

I also thought I would make some rock sliders for him. The metal only cost 30 squids and I just have to make the mounting brackets, then off to get them chromed :D

Shedbits01-copy-copy.jpg

Les. :)

Guest diesel_jim

Sorry to hear about your loss Les. any chance of a reconciliation with Sue?

Catflap looks good... shame about that rusty old gearbox dumped behind it!! :lol::lol:

Sh!t, sorry to hear that Les. Hang in there and if we can do anything to make it easier just ask.

Catflap looks good though though that seatbox looks rather bling, and chrome sliders too!! You'll be fitting spinners too I geues to really chav it up? :)

Sorry everyone. I didn't pay attention. I thought the TDi comment was about the one in the 90.

No chrome really, just a poor taste joke.

The seat box is a bit bling, but at least you won't see it with the doors on!

Les B's motor seemed fine to me and worked ok.

No doubt he'll respond after the confusion!

Les. :)

Guest diesel_jim
I wish there was Jim, but I don't think so.

You carried that gearbox/transfer case down the drive on your own? Very impressive. They ain't light as you no doubt know.

Les.

Yeah, i did carry it, but have you seen the size of me? they're not that heavy! (i changed the transfer box on my 90 today too... just "bench pressed" the new one up into place.... a little (lot!) of swearing and it almost fell into place... (or was that "fell into my face" :lol: )

"I bet you'll be using CatflapII to cruise up Swindon High Street on a Friday night impressing the babes in no time."

I've always said, that the Land Rover was a "chick magnet" , with the above statement, I rest my case. :P:lol::lol:

Todd.

Lesmund here.....the correct one..... :lol:

The motor seems to be ticking along fine(everything crossed), no pressure in the sytem at all until it gradually increases at around 95 degress.

Now I have a proper water temp guage fitted what temp should I have the fans cut in at ?

driving normally it sits at 84 degs, give it some welly up a hill is shoots up to around 95 degs where the fans are set to come on and goes off at 85 degs.

the guage goes from 50 to 100 and has quite a large movement for each 10 degs( checked with a kettle and digital multimeter and almost spot on, well within 1 degree @ 95 degs) and does go up and down very quickly dependendant on how its driven, when run up to temp first thing, you can see the stat opens at 85 and as soon as it does the temp drop by 10 degs in about 5 seconds and then settles at 85

here....

wt-g.jpg

now call me paranoid..which I am now about it overheating again, the original guage never moved at all when up to temp, is this right ?, are the temps roughly correct ? what 'should' the maximum temp reach during a long uphill pull with max boost be ?

any help/readings greatfully accepted

Sounds about right Les. Thermostat temp will be about 82 or 84 degrees or so (cant remember what temp a Tdi one is).

Going up hill it will heat up, going down hill it will cool down. I'd say keep it below 100 degrees and it'll be fine.....bear in mine the systme is pressureised, so the water wont actually boil till at least 110 if not more degrees. To give you an idea on a V8 there is an additional temp switch for use with the aircon moels that starts the additonal fans. This comes in at 100 degrees!

Fans cutting in at 95 and out at 85 sounds perfect.

Are you still running the origional viscous fan and shroud? If not I'd suggest losing the kenlowes and re-fitting them as the kenlowes usually arent up the job - the viscous shifts a hell of alot more air!

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for that, I'm using twin electric fans, no room for the viscous with the H14/Rad Allisport intercooler etc

Siggy,

it came from here....

http://www.minispeed.co.uk/classic/?task=s...product&id=wt-g

cheap as chips....so I thought it would be pants but gave it the benifit of the doubt as it was so cheap..but as I said before it was spot on :D

and if it goes over 100 Degs I'm stopping.... :unsure::blink:

"I bet you'll be using CatflapII to cruise up Swindon High Street on a Friday night impressing the babes in no time."

I've always said, that the Land Rover was a "chick magnet" , with the above statement, I rest my case. :P:lol::lol:

Todd.

How true. I parked my 90 in central Gothenburg for an hour one afternoon and when I returned I found a note on the windscreen.

"You have a wonderfull car, are you equally wonderfull?

Love, Anna xxxxxxxx (phone number)"

What other car attracts such a note?

Les,

Sounds about right. 100C on the normal Cold / Normal/ Hot gauge is about ¾…… and on most cars, seeing the temperature gauge at this level whilst towing and /or on the long climb would not be unduly worrying.

On the V8 I have set the twin fans to come on at half speed (wired in series) at 93C, and they come onto full speed (wired in parallel) at 98C …………they have only ever done this once …… when the rad was choked with mud <_< . Normally the half speed bleeds off the heat very quickly.

On normal motoring the temperature gauge sits at just below 90C ……. Which it should, as the stat is 88C...........the fans only ever come on whilst sat in traffic or slow moving off road.

Ian

90 V8EFI TruckCab

I've always said, that the  Land Rover was a "chick magnet" , with the above statement, I rest my case.  :P  :lol:  :lol:

Todd.

How true. I parked my 90 in central Gothenburg for an hour one afternoon and when I returned I found a note on the windscreen.

"You have a wonderfull car, are you equally wonderfull?

Love, Anna xxxxxxxx (phone number)"

What other car attracts such a note?

hahahhaaha Johan,

They've never done that here in Nybro, But I'll have to give it a go in Kalmar. :D

Tack,

Todd.

Les, sorry to hear of your problems, glad to hear that you have friends to lean on (Fi etc)  if you are ever passing our way theres a cup of tea and a slice of apple pie with your name on it.

Mandy.

Les

Sorry to hear of your news - most of us have been there, and sadly it's a bitch to get through at first....but through it you will get.

Losing all those Land Rovers, though - not sure I could ever get over that.

What you need now is to meet a minimalist lady to match the Catflap...........most women I know hate wings.

I will not be offering apple pie. However, we have a great Adnams pub bearby - straight from the barrel......

Neil

Lesmund here.....the correct one..... :lol:

The motor seems to be ticking along fine(everything crossed), no pressure in the sytem at all until it gradually increases at around 95 degress.

Now I have a proper water temp guage fitted what temp should I have the fans cut in at ?

driving normally it sits at 84 degs, give it some welly up a hill is shoots up to around 95 degs where the fans are set to come on and goes off at 85 degs.

the guage goes from 50 to 100 and has quite a large movement for each 10 degs( checked with a kettle and digital multimeter and almost spot on, well within 1 degree @ 95 degs) and does go up and down very quickly dependendant on how its driven, when run up to temp first thing, you can see the stat opens at 85 and as soon as it does the temp drop by 10 degs in about 5 seconds and then settles at 85

here....

wt-g.jpg

now call me paranoid..which I am now about it overheating again, the original guage never moved at all when up to temp, is this right ?, are the temps roughly correct ? what 'should' the maximum temp reach during a long uphill pull with max boost be ?

any help/readings greatfully accepted

Bog standard factory fit thermostat is 88 degee for a 200TDi :D

good to read your truck is fixed :D