possible auto box

trojan

:lol::lol:

Not for Off road but I have use Tdi's for every day as my day to day millage is far to high for a V8 as a daily run about..

but as a play thing a Tdi is a good as any other, I just push trucks alittle harder than most and like the power of the 8's

some love petrol,

some love deisel

it's all part of Land Rover ownership and the banta that goes with it.

Don't take it too seriously the forums are informative and they are a bit of fun never to be taken too hart

ok people , i've made up my mind , i think i'll stick with the lt77 . due to the fact that at this point in my offroading stage it really doe'snt matter i still have to learn new driving techniques . ( and i'll be £rap what ever gearbox i use ) . :D:D better i stay on me wheels with what i know than on my roof with the best gearbox ;);) .

is ashcroft the best place to go for my box or is there anywhere else ? seams alot cheaper than i thought it was going to be !!!

eh? just how big are your tyres Will?

Big for rover axles :ph34r: I've been using iccle 35s for 2 and a half years and I'm planning to replaced them with 37" BFG Krawlers.

Trojan, when I say a lot of money I really meant eyewatering figures. Ashcrofts charge £3500 for an off the shelf fitting kit. If you start wanting to upgrade bits and peices it will be quite a lot higher than that! Getting hold of an auto TDi disco or RR is honestly the best way of doing this sort of thing if you want a standardish setup. For me that wouldn't have been tough enough so I had to do it the hard way. My advice would be to get the R380 upgrade when you replace the 'box; its well worth it. As for where to go to: Ashcrofts every time! The quality's excellant and the price is good.

is ashcroft the best place to go for my box or is there anywhere else ?

Well, you'll struggle to find anyone who has anything but praise for them, and to be honest all the others out there don't seem any cheaper so you have to ask why you'd go elsewhere.

Mr Ashcroft is doubly in the good books at the moment after this little bit of customer service which should tell you something about the business!

Sheesh, we need to find something wrong with Ashcrofts before his head gets too big! :lol:

Well, you'll struggle to find anyone who has anything but praise for them, and to be honest all the others out there don't seem any cheaper so you have to ask why you'd go elsewhere.

Mr Ashcroft is doubly in the good books at the moment after this little bit of customer service which should tell you something about the business!

Sheesh, we need to find something wrong with Ashcrofts before his head gets too big! :lol:

ermmm ????.. i just checked that and......there appears to be somebody called ashtrans ..... and ..erm .. sounds like it could be ... ermm no it can't be, can it ??.... ???? phewww, it's a good job i did'nt say owt bad then !!!

it's not them is it ??? no , your avvin me on !!

Big for rover axles :ph34r: I've been using iccle 35s for 2 and a half years and I'm planning to replaced them with 37" BFG Krawlers.

Trojan, when I say a lot of money I really meant eyewatering figures. Ashcrofts charge £3500 for an off the shelf fitting kit. If you start wanting to upgrade bits and peices it will be quite a lot higher than that! Getting hold of an auto TDi disco or RR is honestly the best way of doing this sort of thing if you want a standardish setup. For me that wouldn't have been tough enough so I had to do it the hard way. My advice would be to get the R380 upgrade when you replace the 'box; its well worth it. As for where to go to: Ashcrofts every time! The quality's excellant and the price is good.

£3500 for a fitting kit ????? what the hell are you fitting ?? a nuclear reacter , good lord man the wife would kill me to death , mine's cost in total about 7/8 thousand and a load off grief from her indoors .

suppose you'r into all that extreme stuff then ??? and heres me wittering on about driving down slippery slopes .

speakin off tyres , i'm checking out some bigger ones for mine , wheres the best place for them then ???

i've got two weeks to buy some cos she's on holiday and she may not notice when she gets back !!!!

ermmm ????.. i just checked that and......there appears to be somebody called ashtrans ..... and ..erm .. sounds like it could be ... ermm no it can't be, can it ??.... ???? phewww, it's a good job i did'nt say owt bad then !!!

it's not them is it ??? no , your avvin me on !!

Yep, the user 'ashtrans' is actually Dave Ashcroft, of the afore mentioned ascroft transmissions in real life. Who'd have thought it eh? ;)

Tyres? Youe could spend both of your spare two weeks just reading about them on here!!! Have a quick search and see what you can find!

:P

Mark

Why not get a few off-road rides with forum members? Enough of us here with auto / manual / V8 / diesel (did I really say diesel <cough>) vehicles and experience to answer your questions in the ruts. Your profile does not say where you are based, but if in SE then pop along to Slindon and see Paul, Rogue, GB Mud or myself.

Why not get a few off-road rides with forum members? Enough of us here with auto / manual / V8 / diesel (did I really say diesel <cough>) vehicles and experience to answer your questions in the ruts. Your profile does not say where you are based, but if in SE then pop along to Slindon and see Paul, Rogue, GB Mud or myself.

i'd be up for that if anybodys willing , i'm in bolton if anyones local , just north off manchester . i'd love to see what these are capable off .

like i said i'm not new to landrovers just offroading .

i'll update my profile .

Tyres are a dangerous subject, a bit like Auto / Manual, petrol / diesel, electric/hydraulic winches etc. as there's no right answer.

If you're new to off-roading you'll be amazed at the difference just swapping from normal tyres to mud terrains. It depends what you want to spend, what you want to do and how long you want them to last - generally you get what you pay for. BFG Muds are hard to beat as all-rounders, Colway MT's are the bargain option, at the high end you have your silly stuff in big sizes but then you start breaking drivetrain as bigger tyre diameter = more stress on stuff.

As someone suggested, having a go in a few vehicles (perhaps at a local play day) and seeing how different tyres fare on vehicles like yours is as good a way as any to make up your mind. You'll find certain tyres cropping up a lot which is usually a good sign.

Keep a lookout for people selling sets of tyres when they upgrade to bigger/better, tyre collecting is a Land Rover thing and you may find you can get a decent set on nice wheels for a good price. Just beware of aparrently good tyres with cuts from stones as this will fail the MOT no matter how much tread there is :(

I'm now going to don my extra-thick flak jacket and run away before the tyres debate starts up! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oh and use the SEARCH function before starting a new debate about tyres that covers well-trodden ground! ;)

Tyres are a dangerous subject, a bit like Auto / Manual, petrol / diesel, electric/hydraulic winches etc. as there's no right answer.

If you're new to off-roading you'll be amazed at the difference just swapping from normal tyres to mud terrains. It depends what you want to spend, what you want to do and how long you want them to last - generally you get what you pay for. BFG Muds are hard to beat as all-rounders, Colway MT's are the bargain option, at the high end you have your silly stuff in big sizes but then you start breaking drivetrain as bigger tyre diameter = more stress on stuff.

As someone suggested, having a go in a few vehicles (perhaps at a local play day) and seeing how different tyres fare on vehicles like yours is as good a way as any to make up your mind. You'll find certain tyres cropping up a lot which is usually a good sign.

Keep a lookout for people selling sets of tyres when they upgrade to bigger/better, tyre collecting is a Land Rover thing and you may find you can get a decent set on nice wheels for a good price. Just beware of aparrently good tyres with cuts from stones as this will fail the MOT no matter how much tread there is :(

I'm now going to don my extra-thick flak jacket and run away before the tyres debate starts up! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oh and use the SEARCH function before starting a new debate about tyres that covers well-trodden ground! ;)

fair point fridgefreezer, i had'nt planned the tyre debate it just slipped out :D

£3500 for a fitting kit ????? what the hell are you fitting ?? a nuclear reacter , good lord man the wife would kill me to death , mine's cost in total about 7/8 thousand and a load off grief from her indoors .

suppose you'r into all that extreme stuff then ??? and heres me wittering on about driving down slippery slopes .

speakin off tyres , i'm checking out some bigger ones for mine , wheres the best place for them then ???

i've got two weeks to buy some cos she's on holiday and she may not notice when she gets back !!!!

Yep, buying all the bits off the shelf for a Tdi autobox isn't cheap! The backplate alone retails at arround £250 :huh: Add £500 core charge for the gearbox, a £700 rebuild, £400 for a NAS console, oil coolers, a shifter, braketry etc etc etc and it all adds up.

Yes, my 90 is a bit of a toy. At the moment I'm rebuilding it as I've 'enjoyed' it too much over the last couple of years.

On tyres, you really can't go far wrong with BFG Muds. 255x85r16s are a nice size and work very well all round.

Yep, buying all the bits off the shelf for a Tdi autobox isn't cheap! The backplate alone retails at arround £250 :huh: Add £500 core charge for the gearbox, a £700 rebuild, £400 for a NAS console, oil coolers, a shifter, braketry etc etc etc and it all adds up.

Yes, my 90 is a bit of a toy. At the moment I'm rebuilding it as I've 'enjoyed' it too much over the last couple of years.

On tyres, you really can't go far wrong with BFG Muds. 255x85r16s are a nice size and work very well all round.

am i right in thinking you race with yours ? if so then i don't need to go that far i just fancied the idea off an auto , i think the best way is to stick with what i have and order a lt77 .

as for the tyres , well , i rebuilt the landrover from scratch , new chassis and wot not , and i lifted it 3inch so i need some that will fill the arches but not catch on anything . i've been checking around and looked at 33" and 35" but i think 35" will be too big so it's gonna be 33" muds , not sure about the brand yet but i don't need anything too extreme , i'll have to wait and see .

:hysterical:

Nope , but you have made a number of forumers PMSL :)

Don't ask Will about his welding, now that would be going to far :hysterical: :hysterical:

Nige

:ph34r: ohh will , tell me about your welding :D:D .

only joking , mines £r&p aswell ,............. ermm ....i mean .......erm .. i'm not saying yours is .....ermm .ohhhh :D:D

:hysterical:

Nope , but you have made a number of forumers PMSL :)

Don't ask Will about his welding, now that would be going to far :hysterical: :hysterical:

Nige

Mr Barker, can you tell me the rule about number of threads exposed on a bolt???? :lol: (he's going to kill me when I post a pic)

No, trojon, no racing, just challenging. Bish finds the speed thing funny as I was dragging him round teamed up with him at Slindon when my gearbox was on the way out and I was being gentle

:lol::lol:

My conversion I got someone else to do but I have done a few myself since...

The engine and Box £1200.. 4.2 v8 + 4 speed auto

Fitting £600..

Not to bad really

Admitidly it's not as tidy to look at as will but its no too dear when you look at it like that.

And yes I race and challenge

Mr Barker, can you tell me the rule about number of threads exposed on a bolt???? :lol: (he's going to kill me when I post a pic)

No, trojon, no racing, just challenging. Bish finds the speed thing funny as I was dragging him round teamed up with him at Slindon when my gearbox was on the way out and I was being gentle

yer know , i could tell you were a good man will :D:D he's probly ashamed of himself having to depend on you :angry::angry: ......... shame on him !!

so whats " challenging" then ? i had a quick browes around and it seams alot off people on this forum compete in some form or another .