X-Eng Pedal Box Lock - Naming Competition!

simonr

Probably not - but if you bring it to one of the shows, I'd be happy to have a go!

As Barry says, it's bolted through the floor which is in turn held in with a load of the plastic inserts. The inserts once they have a screw in them are almost impossible to remove from underneath. I tried beating one with a hammer and it just deformed the floor! Even if you do remove them all (and there are quite a few holding the floor down), you cannot lift the floor from underneath because the pedal box holds the floor down. Also, if you are going to spend half an hour beating it with a hammer, the owner will probably wake up and come beat you with a big stick!

Si

Told you will have though of it!!

This looks to be a big future seller, good luck.

Cheers,

Marc.

Please Mr can us leaf spring loving types have some of this goodness so I can stop having to keep mine in a shipping container please?

ironic that, as its most likely where it would end up if you didnt keep it in one anyway....

• 6 months later...
Simon, any thoughts on a version for Series?

I've been deluged with requests for a series version!

On a defender, it's a lucky coincidence that the distance from the bulkhead to the seat box is about the same as from the floor to the top of the footwell. That is what made this design possible.

Unfortunately, the same is not true for Series, Discovery's Sangyong, Suzuki, Range Rover or any of the other vehicles they have been requested for!

On the plus side, just by owning a Series, you are so much less likely to have it stolen than a Defender that you have more protection than them without doing anything!

Si

Just thinking aloud here, is the distance too long or too short? Could the main plate not have a sliding section so it's length could change between the stowed and locked positions? Would that make it all just too expensive?

I'm sure you have thought all the possibilities through though to be honest and would have come up with an answer if there was one.

Just thinking aloud here, is the distance too long or too short? Could the main plate not have a sliding section so it's length could change between the stowed and locked positions? Would that make it all just too expensive?

I'm sure you have thought all the possibilities through though to be honest and would have come up with an answer if there was one.

Yes, it could. Or it could have an additional two hinges and more complicated folding arrangements.

All the options I looked at would give a retail cost in excess of £300 and I didn't think (many) people would pay that when you can buy one of the more traditional pedal boxes that will fit for 1/3 the money.

I have another thought though which has not fully formed in my mind in terms of exactly how it would work - but I'll keep thinking and you never know!

Si

Let me share a new idea with you. I'm afraid the photos are not good, but you get the general idea.

Installed_Sm.jpg

Side_Sm.jpg

What is it?

It's a cable lock which pins the seat leaning forward against the steering wheel. The second photo shows a ratchet lock mechanism where you can pull the cable through until it's tight, then press the push button lock to keep it there. You can still pull the cable to tension it more, but it will not slip backwards.

My thought was that this uses existing bolts to secure it - so no drilling required (something Puma Owners have a pathological hatred of). With the seat pressed against the steering wheel, it's kind of hard to steer, or get to the pedals or get to the ECU if you drive one of those fangled Td5's.

What do you think?

Si

Yes, it could. Or it could have an additional two hinges and more complicated folding arrangements.

All the options I looked at would give a retail cost in excess of £300 and I didn't think (many) people would pay that when you can buy one of the more traditional pedal boxes that will fit for 1/3 the money.

I have another thought though which has not fully formed in my mind in terms of exactly how it would work - but I'll keep thinking and you never know!

Si

That's kinda what I thought, engineering is simple .... it's just fitting the word 'affordable' in that makes it difficult! ;)

I've been deluged with requests for a series version!

On a defender, it's a lucky coincidence that the distance from the bulkhead to the seat box is about the same as from the floor to the top of the footwell. That is what made this design possible.

Si

They are? Damn....that might mean there's problems putting defender footwells on to a Series bulkhead then....might have to rethink my project 109......

Just been and had a measure of Kettle, with the WOR soundproofing its 340mm from front of seatbox to edge of footwell, and 370mm from floor to top of footwell....how does that compare Simon? Does it mean that there isn't enough room for the flap to fold flat?

Si, would moving the position of the top hinge work if there's a length problem with the Series? Just been looking back through the original posts about it

OK, more accurately, its the distance of the pedals from where the vertical part of the plate touches the footwell roof. If the flap is long enough to grab the brake pedal, it would almost be poking the underside of your legs when the lock is folded against the floor.

Maybe it needs another look. I only had a quick look at a series at London to Brighton. Just need to find someone local who has a series!

Si

Kettle, from the vertical face of the bulkhead where the footwell joins it, is 50mm down to the front of the brake pedal, which is 55 wide - or deep depending on which way you count width. I'm not certain how well the pedal is setup but I think it's about right, I've never had to work on her master.

P.S. anything you need information wise for your product. in fact anything you are planning on developing, id be more than happy to help as it would give us series drivers something to help defend our trucks. Especially as just over a year ago mine had an attempted theft!

so any measurements or technical specs etc, just give me a shout, although if you wanted to i would give you my e-mail as i am on that at least 5 days a week rather than the occasional look on here.

and you can put defender pedals in a series but i cant see it making the measurements any different.

• 1 month later...
I'm afraid I can't think of anything that isn't inappropriate just at the moment!!

I guess it's been won already but my first stab is this:

X-unt-stopper

I particularly like the black outer for stowage and yellow for use - good work! Mine is home made from rectangular box and drops over the brake and clutch and stows on the seat boc... like you say - easier to fit the more often it's used. (mine is not that easy..)