1" drive breaker bar - NO JOINTS.

Astro_Al

Hmmm, we need more blue neons in the lab for full effect I think B)

Wonder if the lovely Michelle has any latex in her wardrobe - purely for protection when grinding of course :ph34r:

Have we gone further off topic than the "how off topic can you get?" thread yet? :D Perhaps more importantly, is there a formula for how far from topic we are?

good point mark

the one you are looking for John is;

(((s/b) * nop)/baw)-Cos NOOP

where

s = subject

b= banality of subject matter

nop = number of participants

baw = boredom at work

NOOP= number of other project on the go requiring internet based research

this is of course DIN units

Im prepared to let Kate continue to test her rubber/latex grinder wear as long as she replaces the hobnobs she scoffed last time

Well, despite the currently soaring 'b' factor of this thread, I find myself with my usual astonishing 'baw' value for a Monday afternoon, and so I'll try to veer it back onto safe ground with some good old-fashioned tech...

...besides, that blackmailing scum told me he destroyed all the negatives... :P

Er, so... anyone ever weld a brake drum? Is it gonna work? I need to cannibalise 'employ' one in my jig.

Are they cast or something weird that's gonna be a pain to weld to? What, preheat? Forget it? Arc only? or just crank up the dial and Mig away?

Ta, Al.

Cast if memory serves so preheat BIG time, use cast electrodes and a fat arc setup, I told you the negs would only get destroyed if when you get your chassis glued...

which gives me at least 6 months to use the rest of your "photoshoot" for slanderous purposes :lol:

Aw carp. I knew you were going to say that... :(

Mosquitos put more effort into breaking wind than my crummy arc welder is capable of. (By the way, I'm selling if anyone is interested! :D ).

Mig is a total no-no then? How about Tig? Is it a cracking issue? What about cool down? Leave it in the oven or something?

I just spend my whole life thinking of more and more imaginative ways to avoid drilling holes in steel. I figured a brake drum has all the holes I need to hold the portal box nice and firm while my rubber-coated slugging wench beats it into submission...

Maybe I'll try it with Mig, and if it blows up in my face, I'll fab up a properly drilled jig.

Al.

P.S. Is it slander if it's all true? :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Uh — it's probably not of all that much use to you here specifically, as you haven't got a heavy truck attached to the axle, although generally,

rather than getting a stout friend to lean on the top of a breaker bar,

laying underneath, getting one/both legs underneath, eg fitting the breaker bar just in front of a pair of decent heels , then using the strength of your legs to move the bar, is more effective;

obviously legs are sufficiently strong to lift a heavy person + a heavy load, so more power than simply the weight of a heavy person

just be careful not to slip :lol:

Maybe you could trial fit the axle in its intended place first

Have you got your hub nuts undone yet?

Or are you still mincing around!

Al is currently in Blighty - therefore I don't know if he has internet access.

But I can report he has all four hub nuts undone. Thanks to his wonderfully over the top jig, and a douughboy (me) jumping up and down on my 1" socket set this evening.

Dunno what all the fuss was about - I've had M10's that were tighter. The one's on Jez's wallet are certainly much tighter :D

Yup! All done - thanks to my favourite slugging wench. Pics will be forthcoming...

Damn tight they were too - used an 8 foot bar in the end and still took quite a bit of Andy's full weight bouncing on the end to move it - I reckon a peak load of maybe 2500 to 3000 ftlbs.

Cheers for the help/lard Andy. B)

Wahoo! Al.

:)

Alright, I figured this thread deserved a conclusion.

Here's what happened.

When we first tried, the main problem was keeping the portal in position while the bolt was abused with a big stick, so I needed a jig to hold it firm. I took an old diesel engine mount from my ex-narrowboat (don't tell the current owner ;) ) and a Mog 416 drum with the same bolt spacing as my 404 axles.

I cut the ends off the engine mount and profiled them to fit the drum while it is sitting on the ground. As previously mentioned, I was suspicious about the Mig / drum situation, but I whacked in a bunch of preheat, cranked up the dial on the mig and just tried it. It actually went pretty well - here is the first weld pass.

med_gallery_139_25_431969.jpg

I went over it with another pass and did the backside where I had access.

med_gallery_139_25_876816.jpg

Now I had a jig I could bolt the portal boxes to I needed to react the torque applied to the bolt - the easiest way in my garage was to jam a bar between the jig and the big steel I-beam in the roof:

med_gallery_139_25_785423.jpg

med_gallery_139_25_1365273.jpg

Here's Andy 'assuming the position' (sorry for the carp pic) - you can just about make out the vertical bar bracing the jig under the I-beam. Note the rubber soled shoes for added downforce:

med_gallery_139_25_244361.jpg

...et voila - old vs new:

med_gallery_139_25_992620.jpg

I was gonna brace it, but Andy was could hear Domino Pizzas calling, so we got straight to it. Despite the 8mm steel bending alarmingly with Andy swinging off the bar, the welds held on the drum. And the bolts cracked undone with considerable mass bouncing :ph34r: .

I haven't seen the news for a day or two, but if there were any tidal waves near Australia recently, I may have a theory...

Job done. The long way.

Al.

B)

Can the mods increase the size of the PM box please.

I'm trying to whittle down all the offers from ladies, but it is proving quite hard.

I would have put the nuts at sub 1000lb/ft FWIW. The wheel nuts on my 7.5 tonner were a lot tighter. They split a Britool socket.

I would have put the nuts at sub 1000lb/ft FWIW. The wheel nuts on my 7.5 tonner were a lot tighter.

How do you figure that Andy? the back of my fag packet tells me up around 2500 ftlbs. That's using the numbers. Maybe you underestimated your 7.5 tonners torque?

Al.