I have been refurbishing my new (to me) galvanised winch bumper in preparation for fitting to my 90.

With my old bumper I had fitted chequer plate strips so I could step on the bumper to access the spare wheel so wanted this facility with the new one.

I am not a fan of the chequer plate “one life” look or indeed bare galv so decided to paint the new bumper but wanted something tough and non-slip.

I dropped into Halfords on the way home and got some of the new range of truck bed liner paint they have got. I know you can use silver sand and metal paint but thought I would give it a try

Fantastic stuff texturizes the surface and is really tough and at £12.00 a large spray tin I thought it was good value.

I am planning to do my rock sliders as they get used as side steps and the paint just comes off after a while.

Just thought I would share the info as it’s nice to find a product that just works as it should :i-m_so_happy: .

Hi,

Well the truth is I have only just painted it but I will let you know how it goes.

I have to agree that most non industrial paints now are so concerned with making products that contain low VOCs that they forget the product has to work as well as be harmless to dolphins and bunnies.

Some images, 1 day and counting! ;)

J2J

post-13733-0-56574100-1334344482_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-05691500-1334344499_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-92524800-1334344517_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-44056500-1334344532_thumb.jpg

looks good, like the finish. My ARB bumper would look good like that.

Did you use a galv primer on the bumper 1st?

For my rock sliders I used grip tape. 5m roll is cheap on Ebay. lasts well and you can always cut another strip. done the ladder rungs to :D

G

looks good, like the finish. My ARB bumper would look good like that.

Did you use a galv primer on the bumper 1st?

For my rock sliders I used grip tape. 5m roll is cheap on Ebay. lasts well and you can always cut another strip. done the ladder rungs to :D

G

I used Upol etch first and then the bed paint I used the grip tape on my old bumper and that was good but the mud clogged it up so I went down the chequer plate strip route and did the same with my rock sliders.

J

• 10 months later...

Been looking at giving my rock sliders a clean up when the weather warms up a little. Did you do yours in the end Jimmy and have they lasted ok?

The hammerite i put on mine 2 years ago really hasn't stood the test of time, think the huge amount of salt on the roads this year must have taken its toll.