Bent Door ?

My recently purchased 1993 Defender 90 has a wee gap at the top of the passenger door where the wind comes in, doesn't really bother me but the wife's complaining :)

I managed a slight adjustment by moving the catch on the pillar in but there's still a gap. Would I get any vertical adjustment from loosening the hinges a little and the 'jacking' up the door with spacers before re tightening ?

The overall alignment looks OK.

Getting the courage up to try and bend mine!

The top of mine at the back doesn't meet the seal and no amount of fiddling with the hinges made it better - mind you when I took the card off I found the previous owner had welded the window frame back to the door so guess he broke it at some time but didn't get it lined up when he filled it with pigeon poo!

Malcolm

Hello, depends on whether the gap is due to the door dropping or like mentioned above its bent "outward" and not sealing. there will be a bit of adjustment in the hinges if its not at the top if the adjustment already... I worked out my alignments by checking out other trucks.. its very difficult to adjust the door alignment well with one person, so you might have to ask the missus as seen as its for her ;) if its the latter, a wee tweak is easy by placing knee in said middle of door and bend... juts make sure your window is down when you do it... I'm jut sin the process of removing all the panels and bulkhead for painting, so I've got all the alignment issues to look forward to... again! good luck.

Wind the window, pop a piece of 3x2" in between the door and latch, and apply pressure (by bouncing) at the top and bottom of the door. It will take time and a lot of effort but you will push the top and bottom of the door in (a little).

• 5 years later...

Scotts90,

That picture of the panel fitting is pure gold, when you are doing a full rebuild.  Where did it come from, please, and is it, and presumably the rest of body fitting tolerances, freely available?  Perhaps the document could be put in the Tech Archive, assuming it is in electronic format.

Mike

I was searching for answers as I also replaced my front o/s door seal. But there’s a massive gap at the top and it’s actually worse. Some say get a genuine seal (£50) and it’ll do a much better job than an aftermarket one. So to find this thread and then no answer at the end...... arghhhhhh 😂 

20 hours ago, DC_ said:

No one ever lets us know what happens !!  What’s the point in asking how to fix a problem then not updating how it was fixed? 😂😂

Got to agree.  Often there are numerous answers/suggestions and it would be nice to know which one/s worked, this would be a starting point for future problem solving.
I just regard it as a courtesy to those that take the time to respond.

• Thanks 1

my business partner got tired of the gaps in his doors and he fixed it the quickest and easiest way there is.

he bought himself a mercedes ML, now the doors close, doesn't leak in, can't hear the people chatting in the car next door when your engine is off.

downside if he needs to get out the car to tell which direction the wind is coming from.

On 11 November 2017 at 4:02 PM, bodumatau said:

my business partner got tired of the gaps in his doors and he fixed it the quickest and easiest way there is.

he bought himself a mercedes ML, now the doors close, doesn't leak in, can't hear the people chatting in the car next door when your engine is off.

downside if he needs to get out the car to tell which direction the wind is coming from.

That's interesting, I detailed a friends ML that's only done 4K because she hates driving it..came from a 90 and is going back to one.

• 11 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, Scotts90 said:

That's interesting, I detailed a friends ML that's only done 4K because she hates driving it..came from a 90 and is going back to one.

Give me her number I will swap and give her a kiss goodbye , that's the (90)

I was approached by a delightful old chap a few weeks ago interested in my odd 110. He'd just parked his Santana 110. After we'd poked around mine we had a look at his van and he said: "see these Santana door seals you want to get some for your 110 they really stop the draughts coming in because they're not just a 'bulb' that the door closes against but have an L shape so the door closes against them and the L lip seals all the way around."   I had a look and they indeed looked brilliant - the door closes agasint the seal but the seal goes over the edge of the door and down the inside - but I have no idea whether they would fit a LR110. This sis them AFAIK http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/ljp1083-5212_door_profiled_rubber_seal_5000028558.html  Anyone come across them?

Edited by Jocklandjohn