Its time for a diet

pritch1

Well after another weekend stuck in the mud watching one particular, much lighter 4x4 drive past again and again i feel that it is time my truck went on a little diet. As i have a spare week looming with little to do and not much money, im feeling it might be a good time to have a tinker and maby remove some parts. my ideas were:

1. Inner wings i no longer really have a need for them as the wings are supported by wing bars (as in extended cab 90 in the members vehicle section). Could i replace these with some lighter alluminium or plastic.

2. Rubber mats - they need to go anyway as they are nackered some thinking of painting the floor with some of that plasti cote stuff.

3. The steering guard has been on for ages origionally for when i used to bend the track rod. I have now upgraded to sumo bars so does anyone run without a steering guard and manange not to bend bits. i know its heavy as i have had to weld some extra plate in it whem the car was lifted.

4.Tail gate is not doing alot now as i have waffle boards and a spare filling the gap so thats gonna go.

5, Remove all thos unused brackets as they collect alot of mud and dont do much else.

these were just a few ideas know they may not loose much weight but its a start :unsure:. So apart from that what else have you done to reduce weight any one any bright ideas. i know lots of expencive ways of doing it but im looking for things that people forget.

thanks alot

ps. its a ninety just incase you didnt guess.

no its just a a cheap one, protects the steering box drop arm and front steering link (not to sure of the name was guessing track rod but might be drag link :unsure: )

Ah, I know the sort. Never used one but do have a slight bend in my panhard rod to show for it.

Chris

You could go soft top -that would remove a chunk of weight, and also bring your CoG down.

Am running a sumo trackrod and drag-link after bending my standard track rod first time out - a normal steering guard wouldn't have helped. Not bent them as yet and I have no intention of adding a steering guard.

Mark

I inherited the Hybrid without a steering guard and never had a need to put one on.

Now on 90 I've fitted sumo drag link and track rod bars and don't intend to run a steering guard.

Paul W doesn't have one on Piggy and does the Argyll etc in that fashion without any problems, and then you have people like Simon at Devon 4x4 who swear by them and even puts a plate on the gearbox member.

Cheers

Steve

Never been on a weigh bridge actually but i would imagine somewhere aroung 2200kgs at a guess,

my tyres are 35 x 11.50 simex, and yea my plan was just to remove anything i could just wondering if there were any tricks you lot had got up to that i had not thought about.

just out of interest do many out there run without spare wheels i have never had to use mine, but i always worry if i ditch it ill end up getting a flat, what would you carry instead. im planning on some winch challenges so should i just put up with the weight of the spare wheel.

Cut the rear crossmember off.. that'll cost next to nothing and save lots of weight... take some of the tub apart... remove the roof.. er... get bigger tyres so you are above all the ruts etc etc...

that's the main bits to remove.. everything else you have suggested are pretty light I reckon and will not so a great deal as far as getting stuck is concerned.

you could always try a different route to job bloggs lets follow the ruts and therefore avoid getting stuck at all and at the same time make yourself look like a driving god for not getting in any difficulty.. :D

ps- ignore the example given - just had a bad day in the office - having said that it was the best advice that I have ever received I reckon... only after that did I start modifing(sp) the motor.

be brutal - if its not absolutely essential to the vehicles operation take it off or cut it off :)

have you put it on a weighbrige?

How fats ya tyres??

ah yea my guess may be about right them the specs are:

extended truck cab

roll cage

8274 front winch

superwinch rear

plasma

200tdi

rear arb

35 x11.50 r 15 simex

2 piece doors

so at a guess i recon around a similar mark to yours tony.

I see another tray back coming .... possibly rag top one.. or is it a bikini thing... ?

takes a few hours... honest..

ah yea my guess may be about right them the specs are:

extended truck cab

roll cage

8274 front winch

superwinch rear

plasma

200tdi

rear arb

35 x11.50 r 15 simex

2 piece doors

so at a guess i recon around a similar mark to yours tony.

yours will probably be even less

I have 1 piece doors all interior intact full hard top

x2 winches

steering/tank/rear tow pack fitted

cage/spare wheel carrier

x2 batteries

hefty load of recovery gear.

your plans seem a good idea

may be worth weighing what you remove to see the savings adding up.

anti roll bar mounts can be chopped off and clean the chassis of the mud that can build up inside.

lol. maby rag top not to sure of the whole tray back thing yet not to sure of the looks but they may grown on me. Yea i try to stay out of the ruts but some times you just cant help yourself can you :ph34r:. The bits i stated are rather light but everylittle counts or so ive been told :rolleyes:

maby i should bob it that may loose a little more weight and id have no room for a spare either :P

yea well my plan was take all the bits off take them down to the metal merchants weigh them up and the motor, just to see how much i have saved.

I dont carry a spare tyre (it weighs 75kgs),

fully fuelled, on fat tyres and with a full rider (2 waffles, 2 winches, hydraulic tank, 200+ metres of recovery stuff, 25ltrs of emergency diesel, highlift, water, food, clothes, nav, 100 fags and 4 lighters) petal is 2160Kgs (still too much)

Im curious to see what traybacks are tipping the scales at just to see how much weight they are saving - but heres an alternative diet plan

Cyvassnubclose.jpg

This is a Cyvas class 4 racer, pure function no frills B)

Anyone who's at LRO this weekend, drop into the shire stand to have a look at what I've done on the rear tub of my truck. Its quite a bit lighter than standard, is strong and gets rid of the mud traps (essential as the truck picks up soooooo much weight holding mud). As Jez said; be brutal! With you're sort of vehicle bodywork is ONLY their to fill unsightly holes and stop essential equipment (ie you or your Mars bars) falling out. If its not doing anything, break out the angle grinder and chop it off!

It just depends how far you want to take it.

Loose the glass - net windows (doors are bloomin heavy).

Dimple die the carp out of every panel - cuts down on wind resistance too! :D

Throw a V8 in (not sure what the weight saving would be - guess 50 to 100 kgs?

Remove spare seats etc (or all and fit lightweight sporty jobbers).

I guess it's easy to put a lot of effort into it, then add one thing like a winch and regain everything you'd worked so hard to lose...

Al.

any chance of any pics will, i was contemplating loosing some of the rear tub on mine just not sure what i want to cut out.

yea adding a winch etc. can put it all back on but its still worth persuing as i remember how mine drove without the cage but i cant do without that :ph34r: .

took my steering guard off today thats 10kg down and managed to remove a good 5 kgs of matts and sound proofing. its not much but its something ;)

Slightly off the topic but my daily drive is an L200. I took it to a pay and play site this year.

It should be rubbish off tarmac with limited suspension travel and a kerb weight of 1800kgs.

I spent a few hours charging past others in much better vehicles - often stuck fast.

Why?

1. Plenty of right foot, unlikely to break anything and if I did it is still under warranty.

2. Keep out of the ruts.

3. Road tyres wont dig holes in soft ground, it just slips sideways onto new ground.

4. Did not try anything too difficult.

5. Decent soundproofing so blissfully unaware of the banging and crashing.

Being used to V8, difflocks, Simex etc I was really surprised how well it performed.

Anyway my point is that I am not sure that the odd 100kg will make much difference.