Changing rear safari door barrel

I have a rear door lock assembly ready to go, http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=101423 , but it has an old barrel in it. Does anyone know how to remove the old barrel from one of these locks? The new barrel I have for the lock is smaller as well, but looking at my 90 it seems that this lock size can be put in, again any clues for this please?

I've had to do this before.

I think you insert the key into the lock and there's a pin you need to push in somewhere on the outside of where the lock barrel sits in the lock. I've found a link here about it:

http://www.repairmyl...-lock-removal-2

Steve

P.S. If you search for: 'defender rear door barrel removal' in google images it brings up a picture of the exact precedure, someone pushing in a pin to remove the barrel. It's lonked to this website but the picture isn't available.

I have a rear door lock assembly ready to go, http://www.brit-car....hp?xProd=101423 , but it has an old barrel in it. Does anyone know how to remove the old barrel from one of these locks? The new barrel I have for the lock is smaller as well, but looking at my 90 it seems that this lock size can be put in, again any clues for this please?

The post 2002 TD5 Barrel is bigger than the previous ones and hence the rear door lock is different, it looks almost identical. However I think the part the barrel fits in may be longer slightly as well as having a wider opening, if you look at the latest defender rear doors there is a bulge around where the key hole is. Anyway all I'm trying to say is how old is your new lock?

Found this poicture that shows the differences that I'm going on about, newer style is on the left

DSCF2354.jpg

OK thanks guys, what happens if i don't have the original key? Any ideas how to get around this requirement?

A drill. Drill where the key goes in and then you'll be able to pick the bits of the lock out carefully. Or do like the criminal and put a coarse wood screw in the key hole and yank the barrel out using that, the pin holding it in is just a small diameter brass rod and will break easily letting the barrel come out.