Flaring tool

Pete Attryde

The sykes pickavent type is really the best. heres one on eBlag: Brake pipe flaring tool (There appears to be two tools in the photo. The bit you need is on the left. The other bits on the right look like another flaring tool of the cheaper variety...)

They are usally kinda above your price range, but if you are lucky you might find a second hand one for your budget. I bought a very good copy of the sykes version (pretty much identical) brand new for about £100 and it is excellent.

Mark

edit: heres another one on eBay

I bought a Sealey one (similar to the "cheap" type on the right in that photo) and it's done me fine, mates have borrowed it and they've not had any problems either. IIRC the kit (tools plus assorted dies) cost about £30.

If I had to flare pipes all day long every day I'd buy the SP one as they are clearly that price for a good reason, but for the occasional pipe you don't need to go mad.

I bought this thing literally years ago. I've used it hundreds of times and the simple design means that there is little to go wrong. I recently replaced the two bolts that hold the two halves together. I've tried to find a supplier of this tool, but to no avail. It has 'SUPRA' stamped on the handle. Think I paid less than a tenner for it.

med_gallery_2_28_87804.jpg

Les. :)

I bought this thing literally years ago. I've used it hundreds of times and the simple design means that there is little to go wrong. I recently replaced the two bolts that hold the two halves together. I've tried to find a supplier of this tool, but to no avail. It has 'SUPRA' stamped on the handle. Think I paid less than a tenner for it.

med_gallery_2_28_87804.jpg

Les. :)

That's just the one I've always used too. Cheap as chips and came with a bundle of tube and assorted fittings IIRC but works perfectly fine.

Cheers folks,

I only need it for light duties so am reluctant to spend lots,

Vehicle Wiring products do this one:-

vwp

item 5510 near the bottom of the page.

not sure if it's anygood tho!

Pete

I have used these and there very easy and work ok. Moglit lent me his when I had some damaged pipes on one of the racers...

I've just bought one myself the small pipe cutter is a must