Our project

mmgemini

Aluminium arrived today. Six sheets and some hollow section.

img04581k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We've been adding up.

Sacrificial bits, wood for templates and cutting tables £ 31.50

Tools. New and replacement. £158.58

The rest, Axle, chassis steel, hitch aluminium £2236.80

Total so far £2426.88

Yes it does. When this was first mooted, I said 6 to 8,000 pounds. I then lowered that to 4.000 pounds when I did a lot of the research. I'm happy at the way it's going. The 3mm plate was expensive 75 a sheet. That's for the floor and bed base. I don't want bens there.

It might slow this week as I've my Defender to service. That takes three days for me now. Depends on the weather as well.

A lot of work done this afternoon. Four cutting discs used.

I've shortened to A frame by eighteen inches. Cut lots of bits of steel.

Now I've had the oportunity to measure the noseweight. Just the chassis clamped together. Nothing behind the rear wheels, that's for the body. I've got 55kg. So I think by the time I get the back of the body on and the batteries installed I should be right..

A lot of work done this afternoon. Four cutting discs used.

I've shortened to A frame by eighteen inches. Cut lots of bits of steel.

Can't remeber what your chassis section was - but I've a 'multi-purpose' trailer that doubles as a kayak trailer, carries 8 kayaks, doubleladder racks each end and is a std 7' x 4' box configuration below, has a 'extended' A frame to allow me to carry a 14' canadian canoe on top.

It bounces something terrible - with the bending / flexing about the 'A' frame, 6mm x 50mm angle, either loaded or empty. So shortening it won't do any harm!

I had a constructive afternoon too - spent it rebuilding the local scout troops canoe trailer, I actually built it when I was in my early 20's whilst I worked at the local scout campsite, so it,s lasted 20 odd years, with a few major refits in between! I've a plasma cutter now so saves a bit on the cutting discs.

Post some more photos!

Steve

Jason. I'm looking at between 65 and 70+ nose weight. Just under the 75kg that Land Rover recomend.

Steve. Plasma cutter yes !!! I don't have room for more tools, I can't afford one. I wouldn't know how to use one, mind you I'd soon learn.Now When you built that trailer. Did you have access to the Indespension plans book ? Must have thrown mine out.

Steve. Plasma cutter yes !!! I don't have room for more tools, I can't afford one. I wouldn't know how to use one, mind you I'd soon learn.Now When you built that trailer. Did you have access to the Indespension plans book ? Must have thrown mine out.

Point and shoot Mike - just need a steady hand -I bought mine used off a local LR forum member - excellent bit of kit, think mig welder - only it cuts whatever shape you like.

Yes did have the book / booklet you refer too, but haven't seen it in at least 5 years lol... Sorry

Steve. As I can no longer see to weld....I'm passing on the plasma.....Seriously. I do miss being able to weld.

Knackerd after yesterday. Spent most of the day with the angle grinder in my hands again.. Now waiting for the welder.

• 2 weeks later...

As the last week has been horrible, cold and wet I tried to hise in the garage.

So I'm starting on the doors.

img04591.jpg

Outside/ top/ bottom bits for the doors

img04601.jpg

These go inside square tube on the outer corners

img04611y.jpg

img04621.jpg

Corners in place. I used Araldite here

img04651o.jpg

The fixture to make the frames. This will be a daily job on each corner because I'm letteing the Araldite cure naturally and not using heat to accelerate the curing.

Mike you've been busy!

Are you going to use some sort of mechanical fixings / have the corners welded or just rely on the araldite for the frame and the skin bonding for overall strength?

Good to see some prep and the jig to ensure they're all the same and square.

Steve

I've great faith in Araldite. The corners are pop rivited as well. I think that by the time I skin the frame and add pockets to the inside it'll be strong enough.

I'll take a close up of the corners tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and bad today

The bad

I've managed to knock my Dirt Devil cleaner off the bench. I hope to repair it. If not it'll be cheaper to buy new instead of the parts.

I've used my Evolution saw to cut the 3mm alli. Wow. How nice and easy

img04711.jpg

I found the plastic drums good to use, cheaper than two Work Mates.

img04731.jpg

Cutting

Two steps forward Mike!! I guess the tubs are great until you cut through one and it collapses with you ending up in the water holding the saw!!! I take it the window got painted and you were released for trailer work then?

Jason.

No the window still needs another coat of paint. The trailer has first priority, the windows are getting done as the first job on a very fine morning.

Cutting the tops of the tubs shouldn't make them collapse, well I hope not.

Taking the cut sheets to see if I can get them bent Wednesday.

Why is it in this Metric day and age that the Evelution saw is measured in inches ? From the side of the base to the edge of the blade is 4 3/8 inches.

Spent today dodging the showers. At least the little bedroom window is painted. Now to finish under the bay window. That took six attempts to get the paint on...rain

I've cut more box sections and have had the step bit bent to shape. I'm now working on the door width position and the outside side bits.

I'll see if I can get pics tomorrow.

Bay windows?

This may be the best spec'd overland caravan ever :P

One Q though , square corners for the door/window apertures do tend to lead to cracking in the corners of the aperture ? do you think the bonded structure will reduce the risk of this? Nice build , I'm reading with interest as it your idea's may suit my head doodles for my de-mount camper body for my mog

cheers

Steveb

Steve. I could have had all the frames welded in place. We decided that bonding and pop rivits, maybe nuts and bolts too would allow more flex.

There's no windows at all in the caravan. It's just a place for a bed !!!

No work, rain, rain, rain.

I have get the steps done, I'm not happy so another look this next week.

Here's a couple of hand tools I've found useful.

img04751.jpg

My bench drill cried enough so I bought a new one. The old one has a cast base, the new one bent tin. Well the head fitted onto the old base pillar. I didn't throw the new bas away. I use it to hold/ balance long pieces to drill.Notice the 50pence spirit level !!

img04771.jpg

Shopping for a large set square, which I did get, I was offered this tool. I find it very handy as a large adjustable depth gauge.

img04781n.jpg

Another depth gauge, a smaller one, great for marking out a lot of the same size measurement.