Sankey widetrack hunt

Frax

Hi all - I have been on the hunt for a Sankey widetrack trailer for some time but as I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland they never come up for sale and the only ones I can find are all hundreds of miles from me.

I just thought I would share this with you - got an email this morning from a MOD supplier saying that they have a few in stock all widetrack, Drum brake ones for £450 + vat and disk brake £650 + vat. and for me £700 to deliver which puts it out of the game for me. They are in Doncaster. I have found one up here but he wanted £750 for it and there may even be vat on that.

Far to pricey for me so the hunt goes on. :(

Frax

Did you not have any luck with the anyvan.co.uk/Shiply.com/Uship.com etc companies I pointed you towards in this thread Frax?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=75231&hl=&fromsearch=1

I ask because I work in the Oil and Gas business, and we are regularly shipping kit up to Aberdeen/Bridge of Don, and most of the time the truck is half empty. Point is, whilst Aberdeen(shire) may be a long way from, well, anywhere, there is still lots of hardware being moved up there on a regular basis. I can’t believe there aren’t other hauliers interested in taking a part-load of a Sankey up for you, for a lot less than £700.

But I guess the reason you shared is that the supply of Sankeys seems to have gone a little dry, Withams don’t appear to be listing any at the moment!

I did and the best price I got was 299 which is OK but puts the price of the trailer above what I would. like to pay for something I have not seen. It would cost me that in fuel probably to pick up though. Will keep on hunting. I also work in the oil & gas industry and see trucks on the road half empty all the time but for then to spend an hour on a pickup might not pay.

Fair enough. I paid £200+VAT this time last year for an unseen Sankey - which was enough that I was prepared to risk it, but £450 for an unseen one I can see is definitely in 'twitchy backside' territory.

FWIW when mine arrived it was exactly as you'd expect an ex-military vehicle. A few bumps, scapes and dings and superficial rust where the paintwork was damaged. But mechanically it seemed to have been cared for.

Matt

Sorry about the last message as it was sent from my mobile, For info the company I had the quotes from was http://army-uk.info/visit.php forgot to list it.

I will just keep looking on ebay and any other places I can find, Have seen then on ebay for £175 up to £750 but that is ether tool trailers or well modified but again all down south, I have even seen them for sale in Ireland but again shipping is a killer for me. ferry cost was £168 for the Land Rover & a trailer + I would need to get to and from the ferry - this hunt could be a long one.

Thanks for that John, I did email them but as yet have had no reply. If you look at there web site now there are no mention of Sankeys and I think that google link is from 2008 sadly.

Wish it was true and you never know they may reply.

Thanks anyway Frax

Well when I found it I most say my hopes went up, then I found out it was about a 5 hour drive to get there - even worse the advert was 2008.

Why O why do Google do that. I have now been able to filter my google search so hope that anything I find now will be up to date.

How much of a rush are you in ? Do you know the width of it - would it fit on a 7ft wide trailer ? I am possibly coming up to perth next week.... But then again, there's a 50/50 chance i'll be back in Gt Yarmouth instead. (Both work related).

G

Its 4 ft 7 1/2" wide and 9 ft 7 1/4" long to the point of the hitch, That's a really great offer and I really appreciate it, I only wish you knew for sure as it needs to be picked up this week. I think I will email the delivery company and book as I do not know how much notice they need. I am also away the following week (North Sea) hence my problem. If you do find your are heading up though do let me know, I dont know if you need to pay these companies up front or not.

Thanks for the offer G

Ok. I'll know by Wednesday what i'm doing. I'm either on a course in Abdn from 1st May, but depends if I fly offshore this coming Thursday from Gt Y to do an extra week for someone.

I don't have a sankey hitch on my RR, my ford is knackered so couldn't use that and it'd look a bit stupid behind a vw golf ! So i'd have to put it on a trailer. If it's only 5ft wide, i could actually bring it on my smaller transporter trailer.

G

Hi again G, Just went out for a shipping quote again now I have bought and have excepted a quote of £156, :) I recon it would have cost more than that in fuel. I can only thank you again for you very kind offer. (Only once worked off Gt Y and did not like watching pup goers from the rig when I was stuck onboard) If you ever need anything up this way PM me. not much up here mind you. :blush:

Found some more if anyone is interested - just got this email but I think they are in Ireland.

The 1 I had on gumtree is sold, but I have a few others. I have 1 wide track with drum brakes and tailgate, 3 wide tracks with disc brakes and tailgates. All of these are £250 each. Have 1 narrow track which doesn't have tailgate. £350. Some of these need tubs repaired. Call me on the mobile. 07721 746 801 if you are interested. Cheers Billy

Regards

Frax

• 3 weeks later...

Well trailer was delivered the day I went offshore, Its all there even the back legs and was already converted to 12v. Slight rust at bottom front of the tub and around wheel arches. Just home yesterday and have the tub removed and the underside has been need gun ed. Some small parts to weld but not a lot - tires are also good so I am a happy man.

Regards

Frax

• 3 weeks later...

Well the only good thing is its like Xmas when you get home lots of boxes with things you want, only big downside is you have paid for them.

Sankey finished - chassis cleaned and painted and tub is back on so thought I would take some time and load some pictures.

IMAG0147.jpgIMAG0148.jpg