Fitting d2 air bags to rear of d1

discotom

Hi all I am after some advice on fitting d2 rear air bags to the rear of my d1 with a 2" lift.

The reason I want to do this is because I use my vehicle for off roaring and heavy towing and I'm trying to avoid fitting heavy duty springs as I find these very harsh when unladen, at the moment I have medium duty springs with air lift helper bags fitted which were ok but yesterday one of them punctured from chaffing on the spring so I'm looking at fitting something more durable so I thought that d2 rear bags would be a better option if they will fit.

I'm not worried about self levelling as that would just complicate things, I was thinking of just using an onboard compressor and just altering the pressures as and when needed!

Does anybody know if this would be possible or do you have any better ideas?

Kind regards

Allen

It should be possible in as much as the springs are dimensionally the same - all Defender/Discovery/Discovery 2 springs are the same coil diameter except for 110 rears so you can chop and change quite a bit without going outside the standard parts catalogue.

What I don't know is how "soft" the springs are in other words how often you'd need to adjust the pressures, if the spring rate is very low you might find putting 100kg in the boot drops it nearly to the bump stops when on a normal vehicle it wouldn't worry it, but I honestly don't know how the spring rate compares to coils. I think the SLS rear end on the D2 is horribly floaty and I prefer coils, but I've never liked air suspension for all sorts of reasons.