Brake light switch replacement

Hi,

My 90 failed the MOT the other day due to a hole int he exhaust and no brake lights.

I've searched on here and run some tests to find out that the switch was broken and so ordered a new one.

It's too dark tonight to fit it but I plugged in the new switch and my brake lights came on unless the switch was pushed in. Can someone confirm whether this is the correct behaviour or whether something's up?

Thanks

Steve

The switch needs to be pushed in to turn the brake lights off. the brake pedal holds the button in normally. Adjust the switch by screwing it into the housing till the brake lights go off, the when you push the pedal down a fraction they should come on.

Ok, thanks.

So it's doing what it needs to do which is good now to get the switch back in.

I looked up the workshop manual this morning and I reckon a trick to getting this in will be to have the brake pedal down so there's a bit of room to get the switch in and started without having pressure from the pedal then it can be adjusted as you say eight pot

Thanks

Ok, thanks.

So it's doing what it needs to do which is good now to get the switch back in.

I looked up the workshop manual this morning and I reckon a trick to getting this in will be to have the brake pedal down so there's a bit of room to get the switch in and started without having pressure from the pedal then it can be adjusted as you say eight pot

Thanks

Make sure the bonnet is as high as you can get it-or remove it as you'll need to be a bit of a contortionist to get the damn switch back in,I did mine a week or so ago, and being somewhat short on height myself I had to use a decorators step up thingy so I could reach it-There Is a small lift too lol

Interesting, mine went in ok this morning. Bonnet was in the normal up postion.

I pushed the pedal in so I didn't have the pressure from the pedal to contend with.

Took me about 5 minutes and used the long handle off my bottle jack through the drivers door to check the lights came on when needed as I was on my own.

I'm not overly tall either John but i did see a great tool once, a step that hangs over the front wheel to give us that extra boost over the side of the engine bay

Steve, I'm 5'6" tall and having a 4" lift I have to use a step up other wise I'd never get anywhere near the engine bay unless I used a ladder :hysterical:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

That's bl**dy hilarious, a 4" lift would mean my 5' wife would need a stannah stairlift to get in....