series 3 towing 3.5ton

discomikey

• 4 weeks later...

Also worth remembering that if the weight (mass?) of the towing vehicle and trailer exceeds 3.5 tonnes and the vehicle is being used commercially i.e. someone else is paying, you will also need a tachograph.

Thought experiment.

Would it be classed as commercial use of the vehicle if you were to charge for 'loading' whatever you were transporting, but then took it to its destination and dropped it off as a 'favour'?

I have suspicion it probably wouldn't hold up in court, but on technicality it almost makes sense?

Ehmm....

As you guys can't wait to leave the EU, I can't say anything on that for the UK because you have already different rules ^_^ .

In the EU, any reward given to transport goods or people gets you into a legal minefield nobody cares about as long as all goes well. When the sh.t hits the fan it suddenly becomes ugly.

We stopped giving lifts to people on the horsetruck as the French classed it as commercially related activities....

Enjoy !

the legal wording for hire & reward in the uk allows for reasonable out of pocket expenses.
For example if i was to help a friend, said friend is allowed to pay for my fuel consumed, my lunch, contribute to wear and tear, pay for tolls, etc.
Basically you can take money for any costs that otherwise would not be present.

How this works in a commercial setting is a mystery, some say you can run tacho exempt if moving your own items and not charging the customer for the transport... how true this is I dont know