CwazyWabbit

Be careful out there when wading in this drought

Looks like someone under estimated the flow.

http://www.itv.com/n...he-westcountry/

'This Landrover was stuck in a river not far from Withleigh near Tiverton in Devon earlier today. The driver had tried to cross a ford while the water was three feet deep. The current was too strong and swept the vehicle downstream where it came to rest against a footbridge. He had the swim/wade tosafety. A local farmer was later able to pull the landrover out using a tractor.

The Environment Agency has issued flood warnings to people living near riverside locations. Those at risk are being warned to take immediate action by protecting doorways and moving family, pets and valuables to a safe place.'

article_d16767a6a79aa38b_1335345627_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

article_2454f78bacc29c2f_1335345393_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Bugger-poor bloke mind you we all know the dangers of wading or should I say we should know them

At least its a defender, if it was a Merc AMG ;) I doubt it would run again...

Had a look at a ford near me, by the new mill restaurant... At nearly a metre deep, decided not to! As I have no wading kit and the flow was quite fast I thought better of it.

Prob hydro'd it that deep prob gulped a load down.... and end of engine my guess :)

Had a look at a ford near me, by the new mill restaurant... At nearly a metre deep, decided not to! As I have no wading kit and the flow was quite fast I thought better of it.

I know that ford pretty well as it used to be one of the areas I went too when playing on the lanes around that area with friends of mine, even with a wading kit(snorkel etc) on it I'd still be dubious of going through it if it was anywhere over 50cm's deep-the flow through there can be quite fast luckily with the footbridge right next to it you can probe it reasonably well, a few years ago I went over there to find a taxi had got swept away about 30 yards and got wedged in the trees

I know that ford pretty well as it used to be one of the areas I went too when playing on the lanes around that area with friends of mine, even with a wading kit(snorkel etc) on it I'd still be dubious of going through it if it was anywhere over 50cm's deep-the flow through there can be quite fast luckily with the footbridge right next to it you can probe it reasonably well, a few years ago I went over there to find a taxi had got swept away about 30 yards and got wedged in the trees

John,

I keep looking at it and thinking, that's got to be fun to go through it...but i've wimped out when it was shallower..mainly due to being a) on my own, b) no wading kit. But having said that I've been through the one that's a couple of miles downstream, near Farley HIll, which was still passable about 2 weeks go at 500mm depth.

Know what you mean about the footbridge, does give you a good chance to stay dry when checking it out!

On another note, do you have any routes of the lanes around the ford?

cheers

Chris,

The actual ford at mill lane-by the restaurant is good to go across but stay in the middle of the road so to speak because, move left four feet of the middle(opposite side to the bridge) and you'll be swimming, it's got a hell of a drop either side of the middle section,

The other ford I know about is the one you mentioned before a few miles down stream thats definitely wade-able as I've done a it a few times in the past-always with a snorkel though,

There are a few other lanes that are around that area-If you was to go to Arborfield cross by the swan inn pub If you're coming up from Arborfield camp towards Reading, get to the mini round about and turn right (3 o'clock) onto a track behind some houses, there are a few lanes down there that take you round the back end of the university farm complex-you'll be able to find this on an OS map, They've all been graded from what I can remember and on that first stretch there is another ford down there too-only shallow but a ford all the same,Another lane that used to be open is If you were to go on the road to Reading down from the pub then when you get to a garden center about 1/2 mile from the pub just before the garden center turn left onto the lane there, theres also a lane next to where the gypsy site is(the old scrap yard) and that takes you down to somewhere in the middle of Farliegh hill area, there is quite a few lanes around there and from what i can remember people around that area are quite good regarding us using the lanes, I haven't been down there for about 18 months as I've been away working-jumping and renovating my house so time is sparce to say the least

John

Cue picture of White90 with the water halfway up the windscreen :D

Best I can do is this

post-33-0-30184800-1335473969_thumb.jpg

Cue picture of White90 with the water halfway up the windscreen :D

Best I can do is this

post-33-0-30184800-1335473969_thumb.jpg

pah thats no where near your windscreen... thats barely over the top of your lights... ;)

Now this guy is just about to go wadeing...

post-20087-0-40116100-1335511267_thumb.jpg

He probably was unaware that when fast flowing open the door to let the water in to stop flotation , that is if you have a vehicle prepared to be able to do that . It had a depth guage in clear view ?

Chris,

The actual ford at mill lane-by the restaurant is good to go across but stay in the middle of the road so to speak because, move left four feet of the middle(opposite side to the bridge) and you'll be swimming, it's got a hell of a drop either side of the middle section,

The other ford I know about is the one you mentioned before a few miles down stream thats definitely wade-able as I've done a it a few times in the past-always with a snorkel though,

There are a few other lanes that are around that area-If you was to go to Arborfield cross by the swan inn pub If you're coming up from Arborfield camp towards Reading, get to the mini round about and turn right (3 o'clock) onto a track behind some houses, there are a few lanes down there that take you round the back end of the university farm complex-you'll be able to find this on an OS map, They've all been graded from what I can remember and on that first stretch there is another ford down there too-only shallow but a ford all the same,Another lane that used to be open is If you were to go on the road to Reading down from the pub then when you get to a garden center about 1/2 mile from the pub just before the garden center turn left onto the lane there, theres also a lane next to where the gypsy site is(the old scrap yard) and that takes you down to somewhere in the middle of Farliegh hill area, there is quite a few lanes around there and from what i can remember people around that area are quite good regarding us using the lanes, I haven't been down there for about 18 months as I've been away working-jumping and renovating my house so time is sparce to say the least

John

John,

Thanks for this, will have a look on the OS Maps for them.

Looks like the Royal Marines just off Plymouth; one of my ex-colleagues did that and complained that as he was shorter than the average, he was in more danger than the Land Rover!

pah thats no where near your windscreen... thats barely over the top of your lights... ;)

0/10 for colour recognition - that isn't white90... :P

One misake that drivers crossing flowing water make is watching the water as they drive which causes them to subconciously drive down stream as therir eye is fixed on the flow. When crossing flowing water, especially wide espanses, it is always a good idea to fix your eye on a staionary object on the far side of the water such as where the road comes in view on the water's edge. Once you are in ther is little point looking at what is under your nose as it is covered in water anyway and you are commited one way or another.

In these parts flash floods are very muddy and there is often floatsman on the surface and we often get people missing the ford as they slowly vere off course downstream not because of the power of the flow but just because they "kept their eye on the road/water".

Yes I did go right through, I thought I should concentrate though and not do it one handed holding my phone videoing the event :)

Same river at its normal level, at this level its a little over half way up the wheels of the 110 in the middle

8Sept2010+018.JPG

Will :)

John,

Thanks for this, will have a look on the OS Maps for them.

Chris, No probs

John

Yes I did go right through, I thought I should concentrate though and not do it one handed holding my phone videoing the event :)

Same river at its normal level, at this level its a little over half way up the wheels of the 110 in the middle

8Sept2010+018.JPG

The wifes mum and dad lives i appledore so weve been through there a couple of times never that deep

:blink: Twizzle :blink:

The wifes mum and dad lives i appledore so weve been through there a couple of times never that deep

I hope you are mixing it up with somewhere else as this is a bridleway :o

I hope you are mixing it up with somewhere else as this is a bridleway :o

yes we did know that we turned around the other side and went back through :blush: ........thanks to memory map