Fitting two batteries in 90 battery box

Well today I went to see my mate who is a motor sport fabricator www.vulcandezign.co.uk and told him what I needed to do.

He came up with the idea of widening the lower section of battery box by removing the humped section nearest the outside of the vehicle to enable me to get both batteries in side by side.

He folded a tray insert on his cnc box pan bender that will drop into the hole when I have cut a strip from the corner of the battery box and will fix either with an overlapping flange by welding or by some fairly hefty rivets and sealant.

I will post up the results when done but I think he could sell these as it’s a fairly simple mod that will get round the problem of fitting deep batteries.

This is the prototype of course.

More to follow

J2J

post-13733-0-03489200-1336250936_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-90058700-1336250956_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-66792800-1336250973_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is mine: (Note this is a Devon4x4 Twin Battery Tray shown without the battery retaining strap)

Containing 2 x Exide Maxxima. 1 x Additional fuse box (protected by a 60amp HD fuse). 1 x Albright HD contactor / isolator, monitored by a genesis battery monitoring system.

IMG_1633.jpg

Mounted on the front is the winch isolation switch and an Anderson jump start plug outlet.

IMG_1645.jpg

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob, do you have wiring diagram for this setup?

Mine,

All the cut off switches are on the drivers side I wanted an empty box other than the batteries and 70mm cables :rolleyes:

D4x4 tray top retaining bar not fitted yet

post-17-0-12628800-1398065876_thumb.jpg

The two mega fuses in the bottom are one one for each battery obviously, and the small fuse is to feed the webasto

post-17-0-81078200-1398066086_thumb.jpg

Fully insulated - now with insulating black tape fitted

• 8 years later...

my question is how do you charge the batteries I know there is a few ways to do it I'm using battery  isolators to charge four batteries. I'm wondering if there is a better way  and seven relays to control witch and how many batteries I'm going to pull power from 

2 hours ago, D grim said:

my question is how do you charge the batteries I know there is a few ways to do it I'm using battery  isolators to charge four batteries. I'm wondering if there is a better way  and seven relays to control witch and how many batteries I'm going to pull power from 

What on Earth are you using that many batteries for? :o

Depending how you’ve got them connected, you’ll most likely need to connect them separately to the charger. 

• Like 1

I do a lot of overlanding  and recovery work all the batteries are charged thru isolators with a heavy duty alt the way I have them set up is I can call on just one or two three or all four at once if I need the amps like to weld I was wondering if there is a easier way to charge them than using isolators