Bridgeport Spares

I'm hoping it's the correct name for the bit that takes the play out between the slide and the saddle. On the bridgeport it's tapered, and adjusted using a screw that drives it in against the taper.

Here's a picture of the saddle/crosslide 'gib', I couldn't find an image of the other one quickly.

MVC-009F-488x366.jpg

Gib strips are in the slides there used to removd wear/play in the slides as the machines age.

Sadly once you need a new gib in a slide all you can do is make a new one yourself or get a new machine.

You can gain a bit by nipping the locks up but it'll introduce tight spots.

The XYZ mill might use the same gib strip...if you're lucky...might be worth having a chat with them.

What we did on one machine to gain a bit of life, was to make a spacer to give it some more adjustment on the screw, and chopped a little off the other end.

Nuneaton Rebuilds if they're still going, reground slideways on my 8' borer and made us a new gib to suit.

Thanks for the link. I had been thinking about shimming it out, I don't have any shim steel though, so was looking at the relative costs of a new gib Vs shim steel.

We shimed the Gib in one of our big Harrison Lathes cross slides a few years ago... It got scrapped not long after.

Steel shim will wear the cast iron slides faster than the cast iron gib, you might get a bit morelife from the machine but its really on borrowed time.

Steel shim will wear the cast iron slides faster than the cast iron gib, you might get a bit morelife from the machine but its really on borrowed time.

I'd put the shim between the gib and the saddle, so it wouldn't be in contact with any of the moving surfaces.

I've had a fairly decent quote to re-grind and re-work the saddle and knee, but I need to get the machine up and running to find out what else is up with it first!

I'd put the shim between the gib and the saddle, so it wouldn't be in contact with any of the moving surfaces.

I've had a fairly decent quote to re-grind and re-work the saddle and knee, but I need to get the machine up and running to find out what else is up with it first!

where do you think we put the shims?

You didn't say, but based on the below, it sounded like you had shim in contact with the slides. If that were the case I don't know how you'd keep it there.

Are you referring to some other issue?

The problem we came up with was the gib bending slightly, creating more problems than it solved. The shims we're placed between the gib and the carrage and were a pain to keep them in place while the gib was put back in place.

My dad in the past has machined extentions on gibs but these arnt ideal repairs because the weld is harder than the cast iron so again accelerates wear.

There's a good chance it has a turcite coating anyway. It's entirely possible to have it removed and replaced, thicker, to build it back up. Again, nuneaton rebuilds would be my first port of call.