Freelander capabilities and Dash display

Big Hammer

Hi all, I have been looking here for a while but now would like to pick a few brains.

I have a 2012 Freelander and an old Disco 1. With the Disco I know exactly what it is doing, i.e. difflock engaged, high or low ratio etc. Does any one know what the four programmes on the Freelander gives? I have searched for this info but to no avail so far.

Also, whilst doing a mild off road venture I had two symbols appear on the dash display, like the difflock symbol on the Disco, one with straight wheels and the other with angled ones. I am assuming this was telling me that both diffs were locked. Am I right? Any other messages that I might see that are not in the handbook?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

With the Disco I know exactly what it is doing, i.e. difflock engaged, high or low ratio etc. Does any one know what the four programmes on the Freelander gives?

Freelander 2 doesn't have a low ratio and AFAIK doesn't have lockable differentials. The terrain response settings tweak the way the electronic systems, such as the ABS/TC/DSC, interpret and respond to the conditions.

Cheers

Blippie

http://www.overlande...-explained.html

Briefly, Terrain Response uses the vehicle’s ECU to modify various attributes of the drivetrain to enhance performance and safety in different off-pavement situations. The system is controlled by a knurled knob (or, in some new Land Rover models, arrow buttons on a linear display) which, in addition to a “normal” setting, lights the following icons to indicate different scenarios:

*Vehicle silhouette with snowflake: snow, wet grass, gravel

*Vehicle silhouette with pine tree and ruts: mud/deep ruts

*Vehicle silhouette with saguaro cactus: soft sand (we’ll let Land Rover slide on the fact that saguaros don’t grow in sand dunes)

*Tilted vehicle silhouette on rock: rock crawling

Here is what Terrain Response (TR) accomplishes in each setting.

Snow/grass/gravel: On any firm but very slippery surface such as compacted snow, ice, wet grass, or ball-bearing-like gravel, TR alters the accelerator pedal mapping to provide more gradual throttle response, which helps prevent wheelspin caused by suddenly applying too much power. The gearbox automatically sets off in 2nd gear (or 3rd in low range), again to reduce wheel slip. Also, the electronic centre and rear differentials are switched to a higher preload setting, which means they’ll kick in sooner to stop one tire spinning, and the traction control also switches to a more aggressive response curve. Hill Descent Control (HDC), which uses the ABS brake system to maintain a walking pace down steep hills, is automatically engaged in low range in this setting. Finally, since it’s often difficult to tell which direction the front wheels are pointed on slippery surfaces, the message centre screen on the dash displays steering information when more than 1/2 turn of steering lock is applied.

Mud/ruts: In this setting the accelerator mapping is altered much as with the snow setting, to prevent an inadvertent stab on the pedal from spinning the tires into the mud. However, since deep mud can hinder forward progress, the transmission starts off in 1st gear and will remain in first under light pedal pressure. If more pressure is applied, the transmission will shift to higher ratios. Preload settings on the differentials are higher to prevent one wheel spinning; however, the traction control allows slightly more slip of several tires at once, to help generate traction and steering control. HDC is switched on in both high and low range. Finally, the message centre lights up with all sort of helpful advice and information. It recommends the driver select low range, but also suggests that the air suspension be raised to its “off road” ride height if high range is preferred (the suspension automatically raises in low range). Steering information is displayed in low range at 1/2 turn. And the system warns if for some reason the “off road” ride height has been automatically engaged but has not been reached. It will even tell you if the ride height has not been raised because the vehicle has detected trailer electrics connected to the system. (“Damn—I forgot about the trailer back there!”)

Sand: Starting off from rest in sand requires gentle throttle action, but once the vehicle is moving you want to get up on top and maintain enough speed to avoid sinking. So the TR system initializes the accelerator pedal softly, but then ramps up the response with increasing speed. In the sand setting, the transmission shifts up at higher RPM, and downshifts quicker as well, to keep the engine in its optimum power band. This prevents a sudden patch of very soft sand from bogging down the engine. HDC is not automatically activated in this program, nor are differential thresholds altered. Traction control is set to reduce wheel spin but also to induce less torque intervention, to maintain smooth power application. Meanwhile, the message centre displays steering information and warns if ride height has not been reached.

Rock crawling: Maneuvering a vehicle over and around large boulders and rock crevices—especially if steep slopes might also be encountered—requires precise throttle, brake, and steering control. This setting is only activated in low range on the transfer case. Accelerator pedal mapping is soft and progressive, to enhance driver control at low speeds. The transmission starts in 1st gear, holds it longer, and downshifts earlier, to maintain lower speeds. HDC is automatically switched on, and the aggressiveness of the program is heightened to control downhill speed as quickly as possible. The traction control is similarly aggressive, and the system applies constant, light pressure to the brake calipers during low-speed maneuvering, to improve response times and help prevent the vehicle rolling either forward or backward when cresting an obstacle. Differential settings are very high to reduce wheelspin when one or more tires unload.

We should note here that Land Rover has added an additional Terrain Response program on some models: Dynamic—a setting that optimizes on-road response and handling, at the cost of a bit of that legendary Land Rover ride comfort.