Wayfarers walk

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I was in Newbury today and was planning to pop down and drive a few miles of the Wayfarers in a general route back towards Swindon.

I had my OS maps, which i'd marked up a while ago, and the bulk of the track looked like it was byway. but where i actually was on the tarmac road, there seemed to be little in the way of tyre tracks.

anyone know if the wayfarers is still legal for vehicles?

cheers!

I was in Newbury today and was planning to pop down and drive a few miles of the Wayfarers in a general route back towards Swindon.

I had my OS maps, which i'd marked up a while ago, and the bulk of the track looked like it was byway. but where i actually was on the tarmac road, there seemed to be little in the way of tyre tracks.

anyone know if the wayfarers is still legal for vehicles?

cheers!

Wayfarers is byway from the A34 west, although there is a short section of bridleway that you have to make a detour around up on the ridge. You can follow connecting byways as far as the village of Oxenwood. The first section from the A34 isn't used that much.

Wayfarers is byway from the A34 west, although there is a short section of bridleway that you have to make a detour around up on the ridge. You can follow connecting byways as far as the village of Oxenwood. The first section from the A34 isn't used that much.

Its a nice drive - some great views from up on the ridge west of the gallows.

IMG_1895.JPG

Last time we looked at the section from the A34 (from the west end of that section as access off the A34 looks to be impossible) it had a TRO notice marked from (I think) October 2005 until 'works completed'. Anyone know if its still closed ?

STEVE