Mystery Plugs

Hi Everyone,

While looking in the area under the driver’s seat for an ignition live feed to run to a switch on the cubby box, I discovered two plugs that I cannot identify, one looks like an aux plug similar to the one behind the trim at the rear RH side it has a white label on it with the number 7H12-14A005-LE the other is a larger multi type blue plug with heavy wires and a cover over it.

The only info I could get is in the MY12 Electric reference library on page 43 it shows the larger of the two plugs with the numbers C1217, C1875 and C0621, All other electrical manuals do not show these plugs or any reference to the C numbers.

I would like to know what these plugs are for and if I could use the small white plug for a live feed to my switch.

Thanks to anybody who can help with this question. Pictures here attached.

http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii529/fletch57/?albumview

2009 Defender 90 XS

1999 Defender 90 300 Tdi

I think that C0621 is an inline fuse carrier for the glow plugs -

mysteryplugs.jpg

It's inline between the battery connection at the underseat fusebox - C0621, and the glow plug relay base - C0215

I can't find any other reference to C1875, but it looks like a fuse carrier, the same as C0621.

C1217 looks like a 3-way AMP 070 Multilock.

Mysteryplug2.jpg

The page in the connector reference shows terminals 1 and 2 wired back to CTAP (Central Tap???) in 4.0mm2NW cable - this colour is used for the starter relay supply on 2007MY vehicles (and is too big to fit in an AMP Multilock connector :wacko: ).

It shows terminal 3 also wired in 4.0mm2, but in NS, which is used for the fuel pump relay.

I don't think that there's any ignition-switched lives in the underseat battery box.

For the heated windscreen (if fitted), an 'engine running' control wire from C1040-14 on the instrument pack, runs in a WN wire, to the underseat compartment, to switch the heated windscreen timer relay.

You could 'piggy-back' off of this (if fitted), or run the wire to switch your own 'auxiliary power relay.

Thanks for all the info, the inline fuse carrier for the glow plugs makes sense now what with the heavy wires, but what would the small white plug be used for. The one that looks like a

3-way AMP 070 Multilock.

Thanks for all the info, the inline fuse carrier for the glow plugs makes sense now what with the heavy wires, but what would the small white plug be used for. The one that looks like a

3-way AMP 070 Multilock.

I don't think that the connector you've pictured between your fingers is C1217

Can you confirm the wire colours that go into it?

As it looks like C2004, which is where the link harness plugs in, for central locking and courtesy light switches on the rear side doors of a Station Wagon.

The wire colours are white, purple and orange. I think you could be on the right track with the link harness, as its a 90 so no rear side doors. If this is correct could this plug be tapped into for a live feed.

The wire colours are white, purple and orange. I think you could be on the right track with the link harness, as its a 90 so no rear side doors. If this is correct could this plug be tapped into for a live feed.

They're supposed to be -

Orange

Pink

Purple with a Blue Trace

But, I've come across new looms where the colours don't tally with the wiring diagram.

There's no live feed at that plug.

Orange and Pink are the Lock/Unlock wires from the Alarm ECU (it swaps the polarity on these two wires and pulses the door lock motor)

Purple/Blue is the earth signal (from the door courtesy switch) to the Alarm ECU to switch on/off the interior lights.

Thanks everyone for all the help and info on this plug mystery. I am happy now I know what they do, I will have to look elsewhere for a live ignition feed to my switch. The reason I was looking in the under seat area was ease of running wires to the cubby box as that's where my switch panel is located.

What accessory are you going to be using this switch for?

You could use the 'engine running' signal from the instrument pack to switch a relay in the under-seat compartment, the relay would be switching a permanent live, taken from the battery feed to the under-seat fusebox, so that the live to your accessory switch would only be live when the engine is running.

I have the terminals to fit into C1040-14 at the instrument pack, and can supply it pre-crimped to a wire of whatever length you require.

It's for switching my daylight running lights that I am installing in the front bumper. I want to be able to control them through a switch/relay set up, independant of my existing lights being on or off. Your Idea sounds ok but I can't quite picture it, what drg is it on. I am using the complete electrical connector manual but cant find a pic of C1040-14. And yes I would be interested in purchasing some terminals and wire pre-crimped from you. If I could fully understand how to go about installing them.

It's for switching my daylight running lights that I am installing in the front bumper. I want to be able to control them through a switch/relay set up, independant of my existing lights being on or off. Your Idea sounds ok but I can't quite picture it, what drg is it on. I am using the complete electrical connector manual but cant find a pic of C1040-14. And yes I would be interested in purchasing some terminals and wire pre-crimped from you. If I could fully understand how to go about installing them.

C1040-14 is cavity 14 in C1040, it's on the wiring diagram page for the heated windscreen.

It would be ideal for daylight running lights, as it means that they will only be (switchable) on when the engine is running.

• 2 weeks later...

C1040-14 is cavity 14 in C1040, it's on the wiring diagram page for the heated windscreen.

It would be ideal for daylight running lights, as it means that they will only be (switchable) on when the engine is running.

Sat13 has informed me that he couldn't get the WN wire from C1040-14 to C1624 to trigger a standard automotive relay.

I've asked around, and it would seem that the WN wire only provides a 'signal voltage' to the electronic HFS Timer, it's incapable of providing sufficient current to drive the coil of a relay.

I was told that a better place to pickup an 'engine running' supply under the driver's seat, would be from the main power relay, which is switched by the engine ECU, which detects the engine running/charging, from connections to the alternator.

I've had a look at the PUMA Wiring Diagram and Electrical Library, and this would be the relays output on - C0063-87 (Brown/Orange wire)

Sat13 has confirmed to me that the Brown/Orange wire on C0063-87 is only live when the engine is running and that it's capable of triggering a standard automotive relay.