Oil Or Grease In Swivel Housing?

stuck

The swivel housings should have one shot in them. the CV's come with some 'build grease' for initial lubrication but after that just stick a packet of one shot in there.

Jason.

It depends on the axle Mick. Does your swivel have a fill and a drain or just the fill plug?

If it has both you are free to run either. If just the fill hole then its grease only.

If you have the choice I would chose oil over grease any day for a few reasons:

1) Far easier to change

2) Easier to see it leaking so you know about it and can fix it. If its leaking you know water/mud can get in

3) The one-shot stuff is horrid to work with

4) Far easier to change :P

Land Rover went to the one-shot grease to reduce the leaks. I'd much rather know it was leaking so I can fix it.

what condition is the seal of the grease filled swivel ? probably has grease to help stop it leaking out past a poor seal.

my swivels currently have one shot grease in with a few squirts of EP90, seem to be fine so far..

+1 for oil.

I just rebuilt a Disco axle for my 90. One side had oil in, the other had one shot. The oil side was lovely, easy to inspect and clean and everything was in good order.

The one shot side was in worse condition (needed to replace ball, and bearings didnt look great, especially top one). On top of that it was a right bugger to clean everything off and is quite possibly the greasiest I have ended up whilst working on my LR's. Even when you think you have cleaned it all out there will still be some lurking in some thread somewhere to pop out and get you when you are least expecting it/ wearing your sunday best.

One shot grease and a good long squit of EP90 oil, after that you wont ever have any problems, as it was said the top bearing is the worry with the grease but in all other aspects its a better lubricant than the EP oil on its own. Remenber once that grease gets warm it turns to a very thickish oil anyway.

Ok, its a Series axle not a RRC, but I'm converting my kingpins to have grease nipples and channels to feed the bearing surfaces.

Ed, I wouldnt bother, i pulled a top(STD) pin on my 109" which is running grease to have a look see as to the lubrication, it was very 'oily/greasy' on the pin and in the bush.