Are 8274 and 8274-50 the same?

Well that's it really, Is a warn M8274 the same as an M8274-50? If not, what's the difference?

Essentially yes. IIRC 50 has minor updates to main shaft to make it slightly stonger, update to clutch/freespool and top gearing. Oh and grey paint on housing ;) Changes to upper housing and gearing were also made prior to 50th anniversary updates.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks again. Well its grey but the picture looks a lighter grey than my 9000's motor but maybe thats just the pic. The solenoid cover is curved at the edge and it looks to have a grey gear box!

I'll see if I can get a serial No. Is there a before and after point so you can tell which it is?

Im actually looking to buy it and trying to make my mind up how much to offer. I think if its the smaller motor one I have to be looking about £200 less to allow for a new 4.6 HP motor. Otherwise its very tidy and done little work. Trouble is im really not sure which it is!

pm me the price if you like I can offer my advice if your intrested

if it is working it is worth £350+ IMHO

if you get a new motor buy a 6hp XP one for £200

then sell the old motor for what you can get.

what is the condition overall?

does it have wire rope on it?

look for broken bits of alloy on the drum support bracket.

in the tech archive there is a thread on 8274 modifications with a whole host of things you can do with these winches.

£461 winning bid

wel done

if you need any advice/pointers have a look in the tech section here in the index.

Ps the winch mount you get may be of some ££ to someone fitting a rear winch.

plus the old motor will have a value unless you want to use it till it gives up, then upgrade.

Woooooo Hooooooooo! Looks like I gota 8274! First thing to do is order a 6Hp motor then mod the winch bumper to get it fitted! More than I really wanted to pay for a second hand one but they seem to fetch crazy money so there's nowt much I can do about that! Quite good timing really as I finnished moving the radiator and intercooler back today so I can mount it without loosing any aproach angle.

What are the week points? How does the brake last when using it for a lot of lowering? (at the moment I have a warn 9000 front and 8000 rear and never manage a day out without cooking the brake in one of them!) And how long will plasma last if im lazy about cleaning it after use?

Woooooo Hooooooooo! Looks like I gota 8274! First thing to do is order a 6Hp motor then mod the winch bumper to get it fitted! More than I really wanted to pay for a second hand one but they seem to fetch crazy money so there's nowt much I can do about that! Quite good timing really as I finnished moving the radiator and intercooler back today so I can mount it without loosing any aproach angle.

What are the week points? How does the brake last when using it for a lot of lowering? (at the moment I have a warn 9000 front and 8000 rear and never manage a day out without cooking the brake in one of them!) And how long will plasma last if im lazy about cleaning it after use?

Look at Tony's 8274 page in tech archive for lots of hints. I'd strip it to make sure that all is ok and replace oil with SAE 30 or also ATF is ok. It's handy to fit a drain plug for oil changes and breather hose to casing is a good idea to help keep the water out.

When you put the new motor on, seal it along with the upper and lower casings. I used Hylomar, although some use silicon. Problem with silicon is you have to strip it all off when you change motor or open casing.

Most of the problems with the brakes appear to be lack of maintenance or improper assembly after putting brake back together. Brake pads will break up with use so you need to check them every now and then. Uprated brake pads from Jim at Gigglepin help here. You have to be careful in reassembling brake and make sure that you get the circlip on the right way round, otherwise it can fly off in use spreading the contents of your brake everywhere. Some modify shaft by drilling out centre and using a bolt and washer to hold brake on, but if fitted correctly brake and circlip work fine in my opinion.

Plasma wil last longer if cleaned regularly. A lot of the time, I would simply just pull most of it off the drum and drop it in a big bucket of water overnight for a basic clean. The let it dry out next day before spooling it back on.

I'm no expert (far from it actually! ;) ) but I've stripped 8274's and put them back together a few times now, so if you need help the first time give me a shout and I can pop over and help you take it apart and put it back together ok. Although it's simple to do. Best way to take brake it apart is to remove it completely from winch with shaft, place shaft in a vice gently, with brake now horizontal. Put some mole grips on brake to hold it together, take off circlip and release brake gently with grips. Having it horizontal keeps all of the ball bearings in and makes it easy to put it back together.

Muddytrout is a good source for XP motors at a reasonable price in UK. They also supply service kits too.

Cheers

Steve

I was a complete winch numpty but still managed to strip and rebuild mine (with only one phone call to Tony required). I sealed the motor and casing as Steve suggests. I fitted Gwyn Lewis uprated braked pads and done his brake mod to retain the circlip (see his site for details). I also drilled the freespool lever to take an R-pin, you won't need to use freespoolmuch if at all especially with 6hp motor on there.

Thanks for ya offers of help guys, I spect I can prolly manage to get it apart and back together but if I do have any trouble one of you can expect a call!

As for the plasma, ive seen and heard of it breaking quite a lot and I really dont fancy it breaking when im half way up a steep pull trying to get a tricky punch! Thats the only reason I havn't order'd it yet.

plasma is a must if your worried about breaking it buy 12mm and fit 100ft or less and carry strops.

Wire is far too dangerous to use now IMHO especially second hand ones.

the tech section has full write ups of rebuilds with pictures.

the brake is perfectly up to the job as long as you maintain the winch as a whole.

I always use straight 30w oil as thats what the Warn book says to use.

I decided against a drain as I prefer to strip clean out and rebuild

that way I can see what is going on inside the winch.

Well who'd av thunk it, Ive gone and bought another 8274 today so it now looks like i'll be replacing my rear winch with one too! This one has been servied top to bottom and has a brand new 4.6hp motor. So what you reckon to do, The one with new 6hp motor on the front and this one with the 4.6hp on the rear?

The Mrs is gona go nuts as I bought some ashcroft halfshaft today as well coz im fed up with breaking em!

Got the front 8274-50 fitted yesturday and had to use it a couple of time's last night. Very impressed and its great having a winch that will keep up when you find a bit of grip rather then having to stop and allow the winch to catch up. Just sussing out Fab'n up a winch tray to weld into rear cross member for the other when it arrive's next week so I can drop it down below floor level. That way it shouldn't sit any higher than the low line one I have now and my waffle's/ground anchor etc can stay where they are! Quite like the look of something like the scorpion racing and devon 4x4 one's. Think I will be making something similar to those.