Defender Handbrake Rod type

Hi I have a problem with my Handbrake not disengaging propley. I have taken the drum off and will give it all a clean but I notice the rod that pulls out the drum when the lever is pulled up does not return when the handbrake / lever is pushed down.

There is a lot of play in the linkage that connects to the rod is this normal?

I am thinking cleaning up the expander with resolve this issue but is there usually a lot of play in the linkage.

Any helpful comments appreciated

Yes lots of play in mine. It is all about the expanders/sliders which are sprung so any dirt and they stop rolling. They need to be removed and soaked in petrol and then plenty of copper grease back together. The linkage does nothing to help disengagement. Once serviced it works fine unless you get mud inside off roading freq. People in this case upgrade to an x brake.

there are no springs inside the expander unit, it returns by the action of the brake shoe return springs pulling the shoes to the off position, expander probably needs a good clean but don't over grease it, just a smear on the sliders/rollers.