Diff Guards

ChrisH

Hi

I have just got a Disco 2 td5 manual I use it mostly on the road but I'm also a Marshall for a 4x4 club.

I go off road at least once a month in it. I am not going to go mad with adapting the car as I use it for day to day family stuff too. I thinking of protecting the Diff's has anyone any advice on this subject and what are the guards to go for. I'm on a budget so not going out & spending loads of dosh on these..

any advice appriciated

I wouldn't bother. I have gone pretty mad in my D2 over the years and not had diff guards fitted and haven't put a hole in one yet.

If you are careful, as you say you will be, then you should be able to avoid most things hitting the diff pan. And if you have the stock front bumper on that'll be what gets broken first :ph34r:

It would be hard to say, a better question is whether anyone has had a diff damaged that might otherwise have been OK if a guard was fitted?

Many of us put them on anyway as they are fairly cheap, simple to fit, and reduce the chances of severe damage.

i have the bermach wraparound one fitted to my 300tdi and although i dont know if i have had value for money out of it, i feel a lot happier knowing its there instead of a bare diff case. It cost me £40 i think and as far as im concerned its money well spent for the peace of mind.

It would be hard to say, a better question is whether anyone has had a diff damaged that might otherwise have been OK if a guard was fitted?

Many of us put them on anyway as they are fairly cheap, simple to fit, and reduce the chances of severe damage.

My wife's Lightweight has a stoved in diff pan, though it doesn't appear to have contacted the corwn wheel (must be close, though). For the cost, I think they're worthwhile on vehicles used off road.

Personally, I'm wary of the circular clamp-on types. They're easy to fit, but they trap mud and water so will accelerate corrosion of the diff pan. I have QT gaurads on my 109 and like them a lot - very tough and self draining.