Resealing a headlight on a discovery 1

barriesheene

This is the procedure I used to reseal a leaking headlight that was continually blowing bulbs due to water ingress. If like me your strapped for cash this could save you a few pounds if your stuck. If it does save you money please donate to the forum ;).

1) Remove headlight by pulling out of the ball and socket fittings on the back of the headlight. x2 grill side. x1 lower outer edge.

2) Disconnect the plugs from the main and sidelight bulbs and remove the bulbs

headlight1.jpg

3) Remove the rubber outer seal. ( mine was full off all sorts of crud )

headlight2.jpg

4) Using something plastic remove the glass from the reflector. I used an old credit card.

headlight3.jpg

5) Rinse and clean all the parts of the fitting. DO NOT RUB THE REFLECTOR ! The silver finish is very thin so be carefull.

headlight4.jpg

6) Allow all the parts to dry. Any moisture will stop the silicone from bonding.

7) Run a bead of silicone around the edge of the seal. I used black for dramatic effect for this post. ( And it was all I had in the garage at the time ;) ).

headlight5.jpg

8) Firmly press in the glass ensuring a good coverage. Any excess squeezed out can be smeared around the outer edge to help with sealing. Replace outer rubber seal and bulbs.

headlight6.jpg

9) Reconnect wiring before pushing home fitting onto the 3 Balls.

10) Test

headlight7.jpg

Reach around and give yourself a large pat on the back for postponing having to spend £50 on a new headlight :) . Notice how nice and clean and bright the repaired headlight is compared to the one that wasnt leaking !

Something else I noticed was the rubber o-ring on the sidelight holder had squashed flat. I removed the o-ring and placed a very small bead of sealant where the o-ring sits. I then turned the o-ring over to give me a nice round side and replaced onto the sealant. This gave a good seal when refitting.

headlight8.jpg

HTH>

Great write up and pics.

I wouldn't recommend pulling the headlamp from the ball and sockets - the adjustors are only 'twist-lock' to the headlamp box and if the headlights are of any age the white ball sockets that are screwed to the back of the headlamp can become brittle and easily snap off.

Great write up and pics.

I wouldn't recommend pulling the headlamp from the ball and sockets - the adjustors are only 'twist-lock' to the headlamp box and if the headlights are of any age the white ball sockets that are screwed to the back of the headlamp can become brittle and easily snap off.

Oooop's :blush: Sorry, didnt realise.