90 rebuild wiper advise

hi all, im new to all this forum stuff so please be gentle.

currently im rebuilding my 1985 90 onto a galved chassis and bulkhead and have got to the stage of building up the bulkhead.

the problem is as ive used a td5 bulkhead my wiper wheelboxes wont mount the correct way up as they used too due to a bracket in the middle of the bulkhead so i have mounted the wheelboxes (td5 ones) upside down and also used my old motor form the original bulkhead.

the big question is will the wipers clear the window or clear the bulkhead?

would prefer to find out now before i finish building up the dash.

cheers

Yes it will work but your wipers will park in the upright position rather than down at the bottom. The fix is to change the position of the park switch ramp in the wiper motor. Remove the cover from the wiper motor, remove the big gear that is attached to the rack cable. On the underside you'll see a plastic ramp, this is clipped in on two posts. You need to prise it out and plug it back in the two holes that are 180 degrees further round the gear. The wipers will now park down the bottom of the screen.

Alternatively get a Td5 motor!

Hope that helps.

Yes it will work but your wipers will park in the upright position rather than down at the bottom. The fix is to change the position of the park switch ramp in the wiper motor. Remove the cover from the wiper motor, remove the big gear that is attached to the rack cable. On the underside you'll see a plastic ramp, this is clipped in on two posts. You need to prise it out and plug it back in the two holes that are 180 degrees further round the gear. The wipers will now park down the bottom of the screen.

Alternatively get a Td5 motor!

Hope that helps.

Hmm i thought there was a little more too it... do what he says ^^^ its easy to take apart.

Hi Ian,

I am nearing completion of my project following the exact road you are taking and used a new TD5 bulkhead which I galvanised.

I had to "fetttle" the bulkhead in quite a few ways but essentially replicated the old bulkhead and used the old wiper boxes and mechanisms.

Have a look at my post http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=38064 , be sure to open the pictures! Look at item 14 for the wipers but might be worth checking the other items to help you spot anyhting worth fixing now rather than later. ;)

HTH

Cheers

G :)

right so i went out yesterday and took the motor apart but not sure if iv done this correctly, i took out the wheel and rotated it 180 degrees but im now thimking that ramp on the back should have been unclipped and moved 180 degrees. ??

right so i went out yesterday and took the motor apart but not sure if iv done this correctly, i took out the wheel and rotated it 180 degrees but im now thimking that ramp on the back should have been unclipped and moved 180 degrees. ??

the ramp operates the wiper park switch pin, so the ramp needs moving to switch wipers off & park them at bottom of screen.

Correct. I made the same mistake first attempt. Turning the gear does nothing, it simply goes back round till the park ramp kicxks the swiutch in exactly the same place as before. Annoying I know but you need to take it apart again and lever out the plastic ramp and plug it back in 180 degrees round the gear.

Correct. I made the same mistake first attempt. Turning the gear does nothing, it simply goes back round till the park ramp kicxks the swiutch in exactly the same place as before. Annoying I know but you need to take it apart again and lever out the plastic ramp and plug it back in 180 degrees round the gear.

Been there, done that too... doh.

• 1 month later...

ok so iv finally got round to putting the top section of the dash on and it wont fit due to the wipers being upside down, so im guessing on a td5 bulkhead im gona have to trim the centre bracket to mount them the correct way.

any suggestions?

ok centre bracket trimmed and the bracket for the lhd steering wheel support removed and the middle support for the dash trimmed slightly and the top sections fitting perfectly. onward to the next problem.

i would make a build thread but still cant seem to upload pictures (any help much appreciated) ^_^