Need advice re purchase of Series 2

ribichn

I am considering the purchase of a 1963 series 2. It was made for the north American market and it is in Canada. It seems to be in very good shape with about 7000 Kms since being rebuilt about 15 years ago. The present owner used it mainly for going on hunting trips and it has an 8000 lbs winch. The brakes have recently been done as well. The owner is asking $ 7000 cdn which is rough £ 4300. Since I would have nothing to compare this to here in Canada, I would like to no whether this is a fair price. Also, if anyone is willing to offer any other advice in terms of the purchase of this vehicle I would be glad to hear what you have to say.

No idea what the market's like out there - that's strong money for a Series in average condition, not silly but not a bargain - in UK terms. As for where you are, all bets are off, I'd google for local LR clubs (or at least ones in the same continent) and ask their opinion.

That seems a really high price in my opinion. Where I'm from, a fully restored series 1 is currently going for $12,000 which is around £6000 , and the various series models hover around the $3000-5000 area (around 1500-3000 pound). That's just my 2 cents :)

It all depends on condition and what you want to do with it. I think the starting point is a list of requirements - like body condition, chassis condition - do you want something to improve or rebuild or something that's clean, smart, sound and immediately useable?

How much would it cost you to get a scruffy one repainted? Chassis repaired? Serious mechanical work?

In UK the starting point for vehicles with no MOT is about scrap value - £250 +. Its very easy to buy something that looks reasonable at say £1500 (or more!) with an MOT and then find that the whole thing really is little better than scrap.

There's a lot to be said for buying a really good vehicle in the first place. £4300 won't go far if you've got to do major work!