Swingaway spare wheel carrier

godzilla84

Simple question really. Does such a thing as a swing away spare wheel carrier exist for the 200/300 tdi discovery? I have googled until blue in the face and cant find anything at all.

Surely there must be a market for such a thing, I cant be the only Disco owner who doesnt like the weight of a 235/85/16 wheel and tyre combo on the back door.

I recently replaced the spare wheel carrier on mine due to tinworm and while the whole lot was off the truck it made such a difference to the ease of opening and closing the tailgate and there was no creaking either!

I would love a swing away wheels carrier aswell. Agree that the weight of the tyres can't be good for the door. I use the spare wheel carrier to mount my bike rack so can't really get rid of it.

Someone must make one, or how hard would it be to make the defender one fit.

I actually really like the idea of it roof mounted but I couldn't get my truck on my driveway with it on the roof because our drive gate is a sliding one and the top rail isn't high enough to accommodate my roof rack. It lives in storage when I'm not using it on the truck.

I might look at a defender one and see how it's fitted. If I had a defender it would live on the bonnet because it looks brilliant on there but it looks odd on a disco.

A defender one wouldn't work straight out of the box, you'd also need some sort of way to attach it to either the door hinges, bummper / chassis - or take off the rear qtr panel and fab som brakets onto the steel shell / 'd' post under the alu qtr panel - it's way too light to hold the carrier - a defender one bolts to the rear cross member, rear qtr panel along the body cappings, and has a swiveling attachment to the existing spare wheel mounting point on the door.

• 2 months later...

I have a twin rear wheel carrier on my Discovery. The bumper is a local made item from Dubai and the swing out arms are from Outback accessories.

This is in preparation for my Indian cross country trip next year where finding replacement rubber will be a problem.

Outback accessories also make a single version, best way to contact them is via Facebook. I also had my workshop make a dual jerry can holder for the left side wheel carrier for occasions when two spare wheels are't required.

post-264-0-63359000-1344180763_thumb.jpg

I have a twin rear wheel carrier on my Discovery. The bumper is a local made item from Dubai and the swing out arms are from Outback accessories.

This is in preparation for my Indian cross country trip next year where finding replacement rubber will be a problem.

Outback accessories also make a single version, best way to contact them is via Facebook. I also had my workshop make a dual jerry can holder for the left side wheel carrier for occasions when two spare wheels are't required.

If it's not too cheeky... That looks fantastic! Any chance you could take a few close-up pictures? I'd like to have a go at making one of these bad boys!

Thanks in advance..

I didn't make the bumper, it was done at a friends workshop so I don't have many pictures of the fabrication. He sent me a few pictures by way of updates though.

On the outside it looks like a regular steel Discovery bumper but underneath the rear cross member is where the strength of the mounting points are etc.

This is one heavy piece of steel to have hanging off of the back of a Discovery so the chassis mountings had to be strengthened accordingly.

The picture showing the cross section of the bumper is from my car. It's quite thick steel as you can see.

Here's some pictures of a Red Discovery from the AULRO forum that also might help.

The last picture shows the two swing out arms before fitting. They were originally for a Defender cross member but we made them fit a custom Discovery bumper without too much fuss. I know the two main tubes were shortened by 10cm to accommodate my twin 32's.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

post-264-0-19735300-1344259861_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-28005100-1344259878_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-72301700-1344259897_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-34125000-1344260002_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-84650100-1344260178_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-63690600-1344260202_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-81188400-1344260315_thumb.jpg

The Kaymar design is very good and allows the entire weight of the wheel to rest on the bumper. It's obviously what the owner of the Red Discovery tried to duplicate although his welding looks somewhat suspect.

The Kaymar is also extremely expensive....the cost of one for my 98 Disco is not far off the total value of the car!

I was very lucky in that my friend Dave purchased these two swing out carriers a few years back and never fitted them. I picked them up for around 650 pounds GBP.

If I was starting from scratch I would look closely at the Kaymar design but they've stopped making the Dual Carrier for the Disco I now.....no idea why.

Starting the 14th August I have a 6000km trip down to the Southern Oman region of Salaleh on the border with Yemen. The wash board tracks and mountain roads should be a good proving ground for my twin wheel carrier.

They are quite heavy in total but I usually carry two spares for my long distance trips anyway. In theory I'm only carrying the weight of the additional swing out carrier.

I've seen one picture of a Discovery with a bonnet mounted spare...how the guy could see over the wheel is beyond me. I think the bonnet would need some major reinforcement before fitting also....there is too much flex.

Another point to remember is the very small clearance between the underside of the bonnet and the top of your engine/Plenum/rocker cover.

My advice is don't do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a 9 day 3900km trip to Oman's Salaleh Mountains. Traveling over wash board tracks at speeds of around 110kph the twin wheel carrier did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Since there were 8 other land Rovers in the group I figured I didn't need two spare wheels so I mounted two x 20lt water jerry's on one side instead.

post-264-0-71478100-1346054638_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-68373200-1346054676_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-49307600-1346054690_thumb.jpg