split charge

its the one with a solenoid and a little box that sits on the dash wi 2 buttons (link and auto)

Ah yes, still the same then. Ours lasted 13 months. The 109 which is being built as a weekend camper, will have a second alternator for the second battery(s), I may put an split charge system in on a manual switch too, or I may just put a HD isolator between the 2, for self jump starting or emergency charging in case of one alternator failure.

A simple relay will do the job just as well as the "intelligent" system. Cheaper and bush fixable.

Or go for a VSR.

Or a Lucas SRB630 relay. I'm still using the one that I had on my Range Rover and my Astra estate before that. IIRC there's been a huge increase on the price recently but I wouldn't x

Getting two batteries, two fuse boxes, four relays and proper jump start cables is easy.. Throw the Land Rover battery box away and make a sensible side one with straight sides and bottom.

Any pictures of how you managed to get the batteries in the battery box would be great, I'm doing this as soon a I sus out how to fit the batteries in the box.

Cheers ted

I couldn't afford Optima s and so used a new pair of leisure batteries. My mate Jo White (also a forum member) who is a motor sport fabricator made me a drop in and weld tray that effectively takes out the silly central trench in the battery box and lets you fit (cheaper) 2 full size batteries.

He cut the road side edge of the battery box bottom out and dropped in the fabricated tray and stitched it in, job done, with a bit of shutz. to finish :i-m_so_happy:

Images to follow.

Cheers

J2J

I couldn't afford Optima s and so used a new pair of leisure batteries. My mate Jo White (also a forum member) who is a motor sport fabricator made me a drop in and weld tray that effectively takes out the silly central trench in the battery box and lets you fit (cheaper) 2 full size batteries.

He cut the road side edge of the battery box bottom out and dropped in the fabricated tray and stitched it in, job done, with a bit of shutz. to finish :i-m_so_happy:

Images to follow.

Cheers

J2J

Dasically that's what I did but screwed and pop rivited it together.

Do you have any more information on this set up?

almost a plug in & play, routes as per the parts drawing, IIRC the relay is a Big Lucas 33EA 12v unit it has 334198 0403 stamped into the black casing.

terminals are marked 30,G,85 & 86.

the relay bracket bolts to the wingtop/bulkhead in the engine bay right rear corner [vehicles right not yours] one brown goes to main battery, other goes to the 2nd battery,

I haven't used the junction box on my 110.

I have the National Luna system fitted to my 110 and it has never been a problem. I did try just using a simple relay based system before but it kept giving me problems. The advantages of the National Luna system are that it has a good dual battery monitoring display, only charges the second battery when the first is ok, allows me to override the connection for winching and has a low battery alarm. However it sure as hell wasn't cheap.

I bought mine from South Africa but i believe that you can get them in the UK from neneoverland i believe

I have the National Luna system fitted to my 110 and it has never been a problem. I did try just using a simple relay based system before but it kept giving me problems. The advantages of the National Luna system are that it has a good dual battery monitoring display, only charges the second battery when the first is ok, allows me to override the connection for winching and has a low battery alarm. However it sure as hell wasn't cheap.

I bought mine from South Africa but i believe that you can get them in the UK from neneoverland i believe

When you loose two days in Botswqana because of a NL system. Then you'll understand why I won't use their stuff. No it wasn't on my vehicle but the people who wre travelling with us.

You being in Zambia should know why you have bush repairable things LOL

I run my x charge with the twin voltage meter to. perfect set-up. keeps it simple and allows me to see what is going on ;)

G

almost a plug in & play, routes as per the parts drawing, IIRC the relay is a Big Lucas 33EA 12v unit it has 334198 0403 stamped into the black casing.

terminals are marked 30,G,85 & 86.

the relay bracket bolts to the wingtop/bulkhead in the engine bay right rear corner [vehicles right not yours] one brown goes to main battery, other goes to the 2nd battery,

I haven't used the junction box on my 110.

You make it sound so easy! Thanks for the information.